Alternator field, pos or neg

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
eToothpaste

Alternator field, pos or neg

Post by eToothpaste »

Does any knowledgeable gentleman know if the pinz alternator has a negative or positive field? I have a test result, but want a second opinion.

Thanks greatly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

1972 710m
eToothpaste

Re: Alternator field, pos or neg

Post by eToothpaste »

Some will scoff, but I bought an aftermarket regulator. Got tired of fussing with batteries, and when my regulator started kicking out 48v (lucky my volt meters were there!) thought I'd try a three-stage regulator to keep those batteries tip-top and long term.

Just have to figure out how to hook the darn thing up now.

http://www.markgrasser.com/reg_1manual.pdf

Matt

1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Does any knowledgeable gentleman know if the pinz alternator has a negative or positive field? I have a test result, but want a second opinion.
I'm not sure that I understand your question; the rotor is powered by DC, the polarity does not matter (and it does not change, either) but the strength changes as the regulator commands. I don't know if it is grounded and the regulator adjusts the positive current or if it is held to +24V and the regulator pulls the other end to ground (this may be your question).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

The alternator field is positive! If anyone was holding their breath.

Matt

1972 710m
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Jimm391730 wrote:
I don't know if it is grounded and the regulator adjusts the positive current or if it is held to +24V and the regulator pulls the other end to ground (this may be your question).
Sorry Jim, didnt see your reply at first! Yes, that was my question. I didn't realize there were more than one kind, but the installation guide warned of releasing smoke if not setup for the proper field polarity.

Matt

1972 710m
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

Quick comment to an older thread. On older Harley Davidsons and many other generator charging systems it was necessary to "Flash the Field" when replacing charging system components. This was done to ensure the proper polarity of the generator.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...many other generator charging systems it was necessary to "Flash the Field" when replacing charging system components.
This applied to old style generator systems, but not to modern alternators in a Pinz.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

My lack of electrical understanding always has me trying to better understand so: http://faqs.alternatorparts.com/2012/08 ... ators.html.
As a mechanical engineer amongst a sea of electrical engineers, ya gotta walk in their shoes from time to time.
'76 710K
idstitch

Post by idstitch »

Jimm391730 wrote:
...many other generator charging systems it was necessary to "Flash the Field" when replacing charging system components.
This applied to old style generator systems, but not to modern alternators in a Pinz.
Yup. My point exactly. Sometimes old ways on old parts make their way into the modern world. :?