power inverter question

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzgauer4x4

power inverter question

Post by pinzgauer4x4 »

Forgive my ignorance........ I was asked to pull a trailer for an upcoming parade with my Pinz. I was then asked if I could hook up a power supply to power a small sound system for the float. I have a 12V 400W power inverter that powers the sound system in question. The basic question is: can I just hook up to one battery without any problems? Does it put too severe of a load to the one battery in question after only a couple hours of parade time use that might effect the batteries/alternator? I don't suppose that it matters which one I should use.

Thanks,
Doug
edzz
United States of America

Re: power inverter question

Post by edzz »

I would not. That said if you do decide to do it when you get home recharge both battery's individually with a 12 volt charger. Any chance you have a 1k or 2k Honda eu series generator available to you? The Honda eu's are very quiet, good with electronics and would keep your Pinz happy.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Definitely do not tap off one battery - the charging system will detect the power drain try to charge the system which then results in the battery not powering the inverter will be over charged. You can buy equalizers that can manage this but are very expensive.

Alternatively you can use a 24v to 12v converter to power the inverter (these can be quite cheap) or a 24v to 12v battery charger to a 12v battery - (these can be expensive)

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

If 300 watts is enough, here might be an alternative.

http://www.theinverterstore.com/300-wat ... -volt.html
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Get an inexpensive battery at an auto shop or Costco type store and use it for the parade...then keep it as a spare. For as long as you are
going to use it, bet it lasts. Probably less than $50 and save your pinz batteries for starting the vehicle.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford