Leaving ignition switch on with Pertronix

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
GRCameron
United States of America

Leaving ignition switch on with Pertronix

Post by GRCameron »

My 710M has been converted to Pertronix and somehow I am under the impression that the ignition switch shouldn't be left on for more than about 20 seconds without starting the engine or the Pertronix module might fail. True or False? (I could have been told this by Thilo, from whom I bought the truck - I can't remember...)

The ballast resistor is in good shape, so the current in the circuit shouldn't be damaging to the module, but then again, the duty cycle of the module is less than 100% when the engine is running. I've only had my Pinz a couple of months and still have a huge amount to learn.

Thanks!
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
berger
Canada

Re: Leaving ignition switch on with Pertronix

Post by berger »

GRCameron wrote:My 710M has been converted to Pertronix and somehow I am under the impression that the ignition switch shouldn't be left on for more than about 20 seconds without starting the engine or the Pertronix module might fail. True or False? (I could have been told this by Thilo, from whom I bought the truck - I can't remember...)

The ballast resistor is in good shape, so the current in the circuit shouldn't be damaging to the module, but then again, the duty cycle of the module is less than 100% when the engine is running. I've only had my Pinz a couple of months and still have a huge amount to learn.

Thanks!

Mine came with the Petronix, and I completed the CIVI ignition with new wires and dizzy cap. I have never waited 20 seconds when starting my truck....now it may take longer then that trying to turn over after it sits for a while... :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

with points installed (in any vehicle) having the ignition on without it running was never a good idea. I assume this is left over from those days. There are few times that leaving the key on without the truck running is needed. The white switch (the one that activates the "light" indicator on dash) is only powered when the ignition switch is on. If you attach an accessory to that switch and wish to run it when the vehicle is not running that would constitute a necessity for having the switch on for longer periods of time. In any case I would still avoid it unless it is completely necessary.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I was running an auxiliary light through the plug under the dash that only powers up with the key on. It caused the coil to be very warm, too warm for comfort. I now carry an extra coil as a spare, just in case.
I added a plug to the outside directly from the batteries at the battery box for that light.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

A bonus point with the PinzSSI system is the module does not draw current until it senses engine rotation. You could leave the key on and no power is drawn by any component except the relay, which is in milliamps