Pinz Radios

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
rmel
United States of America

Pinz Radios

Post by rmel »

I got curious about the antenna base mount (base with ant. spring) on our Piny's for potential
use with a HF rig. Didn't take a lot of digging to find that these mounts are base loaded and
tuned for an operating frequency range of 30MhZ to 80MhZ. So that won't work well too well
HAM HF.

Along the way I did find some interesting links on at least one common radio used in the 4x4
radio truck. These were a pair of SE-412 (Swiss model number), which is actually a U.S. signal
corps AN/VRC-12. Here: http://www.armyradio.ch/radio-e/sendeempf-se4xx-e.htm

Two were used so field Ops could comm's with HQ and the field simultaneously. There was also
a separate receiver and antenna tuners. Now ready for some eye candy -- Antonio in Switzerland
had a lot of spare time for a complete buildup of the 710K radio system -- I am envious :P

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 400&type=3

ron
mm58
United States of America

Re: Pinz Radios

Post by mm58 »

You could probably get the stock matching unit (MX-6707) to work with the amateur 6 meter and 10 meter bands (50 & 30 Mhz respectively)
Mike

'76 710K
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yup, 10M & 6M but not so good on the more interesting lower bands :(

Although it may be pretty simple to remove some turns in the base loaded
inductor to get lower end. But rather than fool around I'll just mount the
right antenna on a blank cap cover and get the whole darn 9 yards :)
Of course with a suitable auto-tuner next to the RF rig, next to the 2M rig,
next to the Mac Mini, next to......gads, when does this stop :lol:

ron
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Correction! The stock antenna needs more base loading not less to
tune down below the 10M band -- dah! But ya, the MX-6707 should
work pretty darn well for 10/6 M, close to the sweat spot.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Or you can install the later version Shakespeare SF 3512/VRC 30-512MHz that works without having to turn switches and still looks like it belongs on the Pinzgauer. good for 30-512 MHz with out any adjustments
P8290007.JPG
P8290007.JPG (129.39 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
P8290006.JPG
P8290006.JPG (124.86 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
These can be found on line or at military swap meets for much less than some of the internet sites list them for, however it will take some hunting. These guys list them, a bit rich for my blood however it would save the hunting. https://www.american-milspec.com/p-6600 ... a-new.aspx

Still won't give you much in HF but that's what screwdrivers are for. :lol:

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Follow Edzz advice and get the Shakespeare; I haven't found one that suits my budget yet. I use the 15' central antenna for HF with an antenna tuner, although it's supposed to be for HF receive only, or so I've read. It works so-so, but I seldom use the HF on the move anyway. When I'm parked I take out a portable multiband dipole and hang it on a tree. The stock side antennas work OK in 11m (CB) also, but I use mine on 6m, both in parallel like truckers do.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The main problem with the stock antennas is having to manual switch the frequency settings on the base. Being that my truck was missing the masts it was easier for me to justify going to the newer antennas my cost was ~$100 per side IIRC at a military vehicle collectors swap meet that David introduced me to, great bunch of guys a few with good military radio experience and knowledge of what would asn would not work for amateur radio.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Thanks Edzz,

Have you tried a remote tuner or auto-tuner with the Shakespeare?
Some rigs like a Kenwood 480SSAT have a built in auto-tuner.

Incidentally, I did find a schematic for the MK-6707, selectable
LC tuning, not a simple base loader, pretty nice.

On my 2M/70cm rig, I run a simple Comet trap vertical, works pretty
nice, never run when driving, and I put a "shorty" with a base spring
on to prevent weed whacking on the trail.

For HF would be the same deal, stationary use, easy to remove or tie
back, and would like to avoid the monster base coil screw driver types.

Digging now....

ron
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

After digging around a bit more . . . .

The AT1011U segmented whip looks like a decent trade-of for HF -- that's what it was designed for.
There are 8 4' sections so you can put up a 12' when mobile, or 16'/24'/32' when stationary.

At 12', with a antenna tuner (coupler) should be pretty good at 10M-20M band, possibly 40M as well.

There are several bases that have the AT1011U thread from Shakeespeare 4244 spring base, the
4245 locking spring base. Or the Magnavox/ Raytheon Base, 812067-801 -- seems a tad less $'s.
These bases are simple feed-through, no components in the base.

Now it's hunting time :wink:

ron
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Antonio's setup is as close to the original as possible. It brings back a few memories. :D
What we never understood was why they kept the tank intercom setup. Its main merit was to multiply the equipements and cables to check and rule out when something was malfunctionning...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Research done, parts on the way. If you don't give a hoot about Antennas -- disregard :roll:

Shakespeare does have a choice for HF Antenna, the 120-series. This is a simple Whip Antenna
system, several options, from 12' Mobile up to 32' stationary, 8 sections 4' each. Operating frequency
2MhZ to 30Mhz -- a tuner/coupler would be required, which is standard in the SINCGARS gen gear
and part of the base kit for any HF rigs these days.

Several mounts available, Witches hat, Light duty spring, Heavy duty lockable spring. These mounts
are 4.5" BHC, identical with the MX-6707 (original spring base for Swiss 710K radio truck), later gen
AS-3900, or Ed's Broadband Shakespeare. BTW, these Antenna are center-feed vertical dipoles, good
when you have a crappy ground plane reference.

I found my parts at "Murphy's Junk" in San Diego, http://www.murphyjunk.net/u-s-issue-com ... ated-items
brand new lockable spring mount, 6 sections for up to 24'. I'll run mobile at 12' tided back, 24' stationary/locked with radials.

Incidentally, I called Shakespeare, you can buy any of these120-class items direct from them -- expensive,
but not completely outrageous.

ron
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Thanks for doing the leg work on this, I'm still hoping to get my K set up as a mobile Ham station. I still need to find a replacement antenna mount, the 90 degree piece broke off when out of nowhere a wild pine tree attacked my truck!
1972 710K