Trailer plug wiring

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Todd

Trailer plug wiring

Post by Todd »

Took the truck and Sutter trailer camping this weekend. Like an idiot I disconnected the trailer and moved it without disconnecting the trailer plug. All of the wires came out of the plug and I have them all back in except for a white wire that goes to those small bulbs which I'm assuming are blackout bulbs, but I'm not sure.

Here's what I have
#1 pin to yellow and green LH brake/turn
#2 pin nothing
#3 pin to black wire ground
#4 pin to red wire RH brake/turn
#5 nothing
#6 nothing
Center pin to running lights
Don't know where to attach that stinking white wire. I originally put it in #5 and the small lamps lit up when the light switch was on,but then number two breaker popped. I disconnected it and reset the breaker. Everything worked again except those small bulbs. I guess I could just leave it alone but I would really like to fix it right. Any help would be appreciated. I have searched and read every related post and it seems that the fifth wire is somewhat of an anomaly. Thanks in advance for the help.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Trailer plug wiring

Post by David Dunn »

These are the pinout for the NATO and 12N sockets (12N is what the Swiss Pinz use)
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks David. Maybe my trailer was rewired. In its wiring harness there are green/yellow, red,black, yellow, and white. At any rate this should help sort it out.

What are the very small bulbs for? In the wiring diagram for the truck lights it indicates that these would be blackout lights.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The Swiss Pinzes only used 4 pins. No rear fog, brakes are part of the turns, and only one pin used (or needed) for tail lamps.
It has been 11 years since I've had a gas Pinz (both Swiss), some things may be foggy :wink: . My 716 (The Pink Cow;) had the 12N with all pins used, and the GG has NATO plug.
the small bulbs are the tail blackout
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Todd

Post by Todd »

The white wire definitely goes to these blackout lamps then. Maybe the previous owner had wired to light up with the brakes to make them brighter or something. Ill try hooking it up to that #6 pin and see if it lights up with the brakes. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I use the pinz trailer plug for the trailer I made. It goes to the pinz and the Jeep both, also tied a four pin trailer plug in there to allow for towing any trailer with the pinz. Just have to remember that the bulbs may not be 24V. I keep 24V bulbs in the trailer I made all the time as they are just a bit less bright on the 12V Jeep but, still work well.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford