Electrical Upgrades For A Factory Restored 710M?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Electrical Upgrades For A Factory Restored 710M?

Post by David Dunn »

To interject some facts and personal estimates/guessimates regarding the 716 and 718. The VIN system used on the TDs was an (world) ISO system and the first TD Pinzgauer start 000001 and numerically continued up to the factory shutdown in 2008(ish) in the UK . 716, 718, M or K did not matter. From the indications, the Austrian made TD Pinzes ended in 2000 at around 6000 +/- . The numbers continued when assembly continued in the UK, where the Pinzgauer’s newsletter announced the 1,000th UK made Pinzgauer in the Spring 2007 edition. I would only guess that that maybe only 1200 Pinzgauers were made in the UK. I believe that is a generous number, and there is no reason to believe that there were any “covert” Pinzes made outside the standard VIN system.

But back to the question of Pinzes legal to the US. Roughly 2000 TD Pinzgauer were made by 1990. Some of those are already here as released by the US government and others privately imported, mostly 716K’s and 718M’s..

I would speculate that a majority will be a hardtop of some type, either a K (built on 5 door platform) or MK ( built on 3 door platform). Other deciding choices would be auto or manual trans, and left or right hand drive. There were 39+/- P80 716K with 12 volt systems made for Sweden, non military and better insulated and sound proofed than the military version.

I transformed my first 716K into a 716KM . I too prefer a soft top for my toys.. The Green Grail will not meet the same fate. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

David Dunn wrote:To interject some facts and personal estimates/guessimates regarding the 716 and 718. The VIN system used on the TDs was an (world) ISO system and the first TD Pinzgauer start 000001 and numerically continued up to the factory shutdown in 2008(ish) in the UK . 716, 718, M or K did not matter. From the indications, the Austrian made TD Pinzes ended in 2000 at around 6000 +/- . The numbers continued when assembly continued in the UK, where the Pinzgauer’s newsletter announced the 1,000th UK made Pinzgauer in the Spring 2007 edition. I would only guess that that maybe only 1200 Pinzgauers were made in the UK. I believe that is a generous number, and there is no reason to believe that there were any “covert” Pinzes made outside the standard VIN system.

But back to the question of Pinzes legal to the US. Roughly 2000 TD Pinzgauer were made by 1990. Some of those are already here as released by the US government and others privately imported, mostly 716K’s and 718M’s..

I would speculate that a majority will be a hardtop of some type, either a K (built on 5 door platform) or MK ( built on 3 door platform). Other deciding choices would be auto or manual trans, and left or right hand drive. There were 39+/- P80 716K with 12 volt systems made for Sweden, non military and better insulated and sound proofed than the military version.

Tremendously helpful information, Signor Dunn. Muchos gracias, monsieur.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Stekay wrote:Yup... http://inhabitat.com/millionaire-create ... -daughter/

My buddy worked for Bran when they did R&D for Disney (Imagineering) They used a pair of armored 712's during the Bicentennial to tour the Bill of Rights around the country.
I happen to know where one is....
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Very cool. A bit of trivia... the way to tell which held the Bill of Rights and which was the "decoy" truck was the position of the windshield wiper blades.
'76 710K
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

And?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

The real one was in the swept position, the decoy in the normal parked position. I suppose if it was raining there was total confusion.
'76 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Doesn't that keep the contacts open and possible drain on the battery?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Doesn't that keep the contacts open and possible drain on the battery?
Power to the "Park" feature can be disconnected and then the switch just opened when the wipers are at their other end of travel. Or the motor can be rotated 180 degrees.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Back to the original question... I would downlighting 24v LEDs at each door like a modern car as well as an interior light switched by the rear door. I know these can easily be added, but why not have them installed.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
nicholastanguma
United States of America

Post by nicholastanguma »

McCall Pinz wrote:Back to the original question... I would downlighting 24v LEDs at each door like a modern car as well as an interior light switched by the rear door. I know these can easily be added, but why not have them installed.
I've been considering this, actually. But since I would be spending a huge amount of money anyway, I've also been wondering if I shouldn't simply have ALL of the old electrical system stripped, including the old halogen lights front and rear, and replaced with a more "modern" solid state breaker box and LED lights.

For example: when collectors splurge to have an old motorcycle or hot rod or Jeep or whatever completely restomodded.

Dude, a restomodded Pinzgauer 710! No, not joking. A freaking RESTOMODDED Pinzgauer. :shock:

Thoughts?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

nicholastanguma wrote:Thoughts?
You'll be needing this:
Attachments
more money.jpg
more money.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Sounds good to me... I'll dream a little. Personally, I spend too much time in the backcountry to change the paint and exterior much. It would get Idaho-pin-stripping in about 15 minutes. Mod the rest? Sure. Some are easy and have been done, others need some R&D time and no concern for ROI. Separate, reliable 12v fuse block and electronics, PinzSSI absolutely, cleaned up engine with 2.7L and EFI (how about something unique with independent throttle bodies?), the future air-bag kit for a supple ride, Doetsch shocks, nicely colored limiting straps from OK offroad, heated seats, full sound dampening, custom door panels with pockets, rain gutters over the windows, lights at the rear door, down-lights off driver and passenger doors, interior footwell lights, new rims, an exoskeleton rack (with wood accents like an old VW?), a fold-down table on the back door, an awning off the back or side, ARB style bumpers front AND rear.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I think the "Idea" of a resto-mod on an air-cooled Pinzgauer is commendable.

I've driven a factory civilianized K that had extra windows, nice interior, cab lighting, Air conditioning, carpet, etc... And if it had a Fuel injected, 2.7L with high speed transmission and 712, 2 speed gear box, It would still not drive as good as a P90 Turbo diesel in the same configuration.

The venture would be similar to buying a '55 Indian Chief and asking them to make it ride and function like a New Harley Road King.
Can it be done, Yes, provided you replace everything except the Indian tank and fenders.

Cars in mass production have enough of a following to support designing, testing, and manufacturing of Resto-mod components.
The stuff they use on Gas Monkey Garage are all kits that are weld on replacements for old components such as steering, suspension, brakes etc.
The only thing they keep is the shell of the body.

If an elegant Frankenstein is what you want, Buy a Pinzgauer body and put it on a modern jeep/Land Rover chassis.

Either way, I believe the sum of it's parts will far exceed the value of the whole, while possibly becoming less capable/desirable.
Last edited by Andre on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Andre wrote:
SNIP
If and elegant Frankenstein is what you want, Buy a Pinzgauer body and put it on a modern jeep/Land Rover chassis.
x2
It is one thing to rebuild it to factory new condition with some updates vs a resto mod
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Andre wrote:Either way, I believe the sum of it's parts will far exceed the value of the whole, while possibly becoming less capable/desirable.
Case in point. You may be going for this
pic486.jpg
pic486.jpg (164.78 KiB) Viewed 5995 times

and end up with this.
red 3door 710c.JPG
red 3door 710c.JPG (336.61 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile