# 8 breaker popping when in 4x4

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
dadnova
United States of America

# 8 breaker popping when in 4x4

Post by dadnova »

Last weekend when I took the Pinz out, I noticed a wire burning smell when I would put it into 4x4 and the lights at the levers would come on, shortly after that each time I would throw a lever the light would come on for an instant then the #8 breaker on the right would trip.

Any Ideas?
pcolette
United States of America

Re: # 8 breaker popping when in 4x4

Post by pcolette »

The #8 breaker was for an optional hookup to the blackout lights. It typically had a pink wire connected to it that ran to the taillights, etc. Often the pink wire was re-purposed for accessories, back-up lights, etc. so I would begin by tracking down where that wire is connected. It seems odd that engaging the lockers causes the breaker to pop because the locker indicator lights are connected to breaker #12.

Good luck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

My mistake, as they all say 8, its the number 12 breaker.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Breaker 12 also powers the headlight relay and the emergency flasher relay as well as the locker indicator lights. One of the wires that comes off the breaker travels under the dash and above the windshield washer bottle and connects to the leftmost (4X4) indicator light. It then daisy chains to the other indicators. Each indicator light then has a second wire that connects to the switch at each of the locker slaves. Whenever the slave is activated by the handle, an internal pin in the slave cylinder pushes on the switch which then grounds to the chassis, turning on the light. If breaker 12 pops regardless of which lever you engage than the failure is possibly in the 24V power wire from the breaker to the first light.
I'd track that wire down (it should be black with a red stripe) and see if the insulation is worn thru at some point. If so, then either tape or replace as needed.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE