Anyone have a failed 4500 RPM module?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
GRCameron
United States of America

Anyone have a failed 4500 RPM module?

Post by GRCameron »

Does anyone have a failed 4500 RPM module they are willing to send me so I can dissect it and figure out how it works? Black boxes drive me nuts. Something that hasn't let smoke out of the box would be nice. Hopefully these modules are not fully potted.

I will draw up and post a schematic.

I can send postage to you via PayPal.

Thanks!
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
krick3tt

Re: Anyone have a failed 4500 RPM module?

Post by krick3tt »

I have one. replaced mine.

PM me.

edit: received your PM. sent answer.
Last edited by krick3tt on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Anyone have a failed 4500 RPM module?

Post by Jimm391730 »

They are not potted, just a PCB and discrete components. Good luck figuring out the transistor types!

From what I can tell, the box detects the current pulses to the coil when the points close, and use that frequency to detect RPM. If the RPM gets to ~4500 then it does two things: Lights the 4500 dash light, and either starts to decrease the coil current (or perhaps was intended to interrupt coil current) to weaken or kill spark to prevent revving any higher. One of the common failure modes is to start to reduce the voltage/current to the coil at all RPMs and the spark gets weak. Coil + terminal voltage values when running are normally about 17V, but when my 4500 box failed I only had 8-9 volts at the coil; the engine idled easily enough, but would sputter as the throttle was opened.

FYI, since the coil should get only about 17V, a Pertronix would not see even that much voltage; this is why it works with our "24 volt" vehicles reasonably reliably. But if the voltage goes higher then the Pertronix could be damaged or destroyed.
Jim M.
712W and 710M