Starter Button - Inside Look

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
krick3tt

Re: Starter Button - Inside Look

Post by krick3tt »

As you are in Europe where these vehicles originate it should not be too difficult to find a pinz that is available for parts and use original parts to keep from having further problems down thee road instead of using parts not intended for the vehicle.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hey Krick3tt,

Funny I was just looking this up to see if I could get cheap Pinzgauers from the Yugoslave army, who also uses them still, as Austria does. Saw a certain Mr Roman at: viewtopic.php?t=2567
who said they were for sale for 2500 euro's = $3000. Now that would work for spare parts... However; I have not found anything or where to buy these...

I did find Int. Safari Corp, who sells them, but at 15,000 euros = $18,000, but refurbished... and they will ship
http://www.safariinternational.com/en/p ... zgauer-710

Anyway I have not found any cheap source of parts, yet... Just the expensive one, but this is a good site to look at for looking at parts and cost
http://www.puch.at/en/spare-parts/pinzg ... l-710-712/

I will let everybody know if I find something cheap (very little chance, but...), without getting the US dealers into trouble !! As they make a living from it...

Good luck

Jules
PS Hope to get Electric Power Steering installed in a few weeks... Whooiii... ($1800 installed)
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Good luck with your search. Having a possible source for parts, even if one must purchase a slightly used vehicle is a good alternative.
Two years ago while riding a train through Austria I saw a Haflinger in a trash heap behind a barn next to the rail line. It almost made me cry to think of such a vehicle gone to ground.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

If anybody is interested in buying tanks, armoured vehicles etc. try this site:
http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/product ... rrency=USD
Maybe Vince could import them as movie-props... and bypass import problems

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
ako

Post by ako »

ExpeditionImports wrote:
ako wrote:Mine came without a starter button, so I just bought one at the local truck supply shop for about $15.
Final note: If in a situation where you need to use a 2 pole intermittent switch, leave the (b) wire disconnected and taped off. Your truck will still run and may be a little harder to start up, but you will not be creating problems for the short haul.
Thanks for the info Scott. I have checked my wiring and I am doing this option, not really by choice.

I will need to try an locate this elusive wire (b). My wiring is a birds nest and wires of all colours going everywhere.

I have installed a PinzSSI kit and it starts without wire b at the moment. Maybe something to follow up in the future.

Again, thanks for your comment - without experts like yourself this would have gone unnoticed forever :oops:
mushmasher
United States of America

Post by mushmasher »

I know, old thread. But this just happened to me. Go a pinz with a bad starter button. Using a DPST momentary switch as solution for now. But going to trying to rebuild the old switch. got it it apart and cleaned it up. contacts work now but I just need to source a small spring to fit in there. If it works I'll report back. $100 for a push button makes it kinda worth trying to fix.
mushmasher
United States of America

Post by mushmasher »

By replacing the small spring inside the button (from the local hardware store), cleaning all the contacts, and using some dielectric grease in the button. I have put it all back together. And wham! it works good. Maybe will last another 50 years?
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Nice work!