no brake light right side

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
krick3tt

no brake light right side

Post by krick3tt »

Suddenly no right brake light. Very confusing. disassembled the internals for the tail light and cleaned terminals. Turn signals and flashers work (small bulb), regular tail light is dim on right. Replaced bulb. No change.
The connector box under the pinz has no numbers to follow to check circuit.

I'm lost on electrical stuff and seem to only be able to follow most obvious clues like frayed wire, or not connected to terminal replacing bulb and such.
Maddening search, any helpful clues?

edit: just checked...gas gage works

edit: unfortunately my owners manual shows a fuse box and not the breakers that I have. Is there an explanation for what breaker controls what electrical function? This is maddening ..day two.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
krick3tt

Re: no brake light right side

Post by krick3tt »

bump
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

First, since it is affecting both your tail light and the brake light, I would suggest checking that your ground for the right light housing is good . If you have the original Swiss housings, the ground is thru one of the mounting bolts and corrosion often occurs. Try running a wire from the ground of the lamp to any good clean ground on the body and see if the lights now work. If so, then try removing the housing and cleaning up all the contact points, bolts, etc.

I also suggest checking for corrosion, dirt, etc. in the rear junction box. Depending on how old the box is, it may have screw terminals or spade terminals. You're right that there are no terminal numbers in the box. The wires are simply color coded. The older boxes have no cover and can get pretty filthy.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks Paul,

I have the cover off to check for loose spade connectors and continuity. Very clean.

I am now going to check the ground as you suggest, be a good time to clean up the light as well.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Paul,

That is it :D

Cleaned it up, new terminal end and I'm in business.

Thanks ever so much.

Morris
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Morris,
I'm glad that it worked for you. Hopefully you didn't have to use too many swear words to get your Pinz to cooperate :D (I can really identify with your signature.)
Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE