Buying 2 new batteries, share your favorites!

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
stiffler4444
Canada

Buying 2 new batteries, share your favorites!

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi all,

As the tag line says, I'm about to buy two new batteries for the Pinz and would love to hear who runs what and why. I've used optima Red top with mixed results and currenlty have a pair that have to go (one is a red top, one is a standard wet cell). Most popular battery wins, I'll go with the majority!

Thanks in advance for your input.

P.S., I live minutes from the Peace Bridge on the Canadian side, so U.S. and Canadian brands are equal options!
1972 710m
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Buying 2 new batteries, share your favorites!

Post by pcolette »

I've used AC Delco and Diehard lead acid type and have been happy with both. The Delco's happened to fit the original hold-down brackets perfectly so that was a plus. They've both been reliable and have held up well. I do keep them charged independently with a dual Battery Tender when I don't run the Pinz on a regular basis.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I run yellow Optimas. I was happy to have them in the truck when I laid it over on it's side, because nothing spilled.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Red optimas
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

I just purchased an X2 battery from Batteries Plus for my Jeep. This is a rebranding of a Northstar Battery. The spec's are really good and it comes with a full 5 year replacement warranty.
Justin Pitcairn

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/
Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Instagram @pitcairnoverland
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yellow or Red Optima depends.

I run with 6 Yellows: [1 + 1] = 24V and [4 x 1] = 12V creature comfort devices.
They don't out-gas, and orientate these on their side or in the up direction.

Red is better for cranking/starting, Yellow is better for deep-discharge. Either would be fine.
Red might be a bit better choice for starting, Yellow for the 12V compartment, long running
frig and mini-bar in the back of your 712 :)

I stuck with Yellows all around, as that was the best choice for the 12V battery bay, and give
me the ability to interchange them at will.

ron
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Deka Intimidator AGM's
'76 710K
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Sears Diehard
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Blue Optimas. They are a blend of the reds and the yellows. But with 24V system in the Pinz, the cranking amps is much lower than any other vehicle so a high cranking amp battery is not needed. Actually, I've had at least a couple of these that failed much sooner than I would have expected so I'm not entirely pleased with them, but I arranged my battery compartment to have the sealed batteries on their ends so I could squeeze an air compressor in the compartment with them -- now i'm locked into these Optimas. But the last set have been working well for many years now.

Regardless of what batteries you get, be sure to occasionally charge them independently overnight at least every 6 months or so.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Optima red tops with a voltage tap for some 12V things.
Attachments
DSC02353.JPG
DSC02353.JPG (110.33 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

I'm running two yellow top Ultimas. I have a 24 volt winch on the front and wanted to have some deep power. They have lasted over five years and are still strong.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the replys. Looks like Optima's are the winner, whether it be Red/Blue/Yellow, I'll probably try the yellow this time around (technically it is the winner by numbers!).

tx Dave
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Jimm391730 wrote:Blue Optimas. They are a blend of the reds and the yellows. But with 24V system in the Pinz, the cranking amps is much lower than any other vehicle so a high cranking amp battery is not needed. Actually, I've had at least a couple of these that failed much sooner than I would have expected so I'm not entirely pleased with them, but I arranged my battery compartment to have the sealed batteries on their ends so I could squeeze an air compressor in the compartment with them -- now i'm locked into these Optimas. But the last set have been working well for many years now.

Regardless of what batteries you get, be sure to occasionally charge them independently overnight at least every 6 months or so.
I've never seen the blue tops, guess I'll do some research on 'em.
1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Blue tops come in black cases (cranking duty only) and gray cases (dual purpose cranking/deep cycle). I use the gray case style. This can be confusing, since Optima does not go out of their way to let you know this option/difference.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

So despite my intention to buy Optima based on everyone else's experiences, I wound up with a Canadian Tire variant known as the Eliminator Ultra. Much cheaper than the Optima and come with a full swap out non pro rated 5 year warranty. I did some digging and some guys are running these things well after 10 years!

Anyway, with the money I saved on the batteries, I'll be purchasing a nice dual charger to keep them topped up properly.

thanks to everyone for their input! I'll post up in a few months with thoughts on these units.

tx Dave
1972 710m