24v DC to AC converter - actual user input wanted

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Shovel Bum

24v DC to AC converter - actual user input wanted

Post by Shovel Bum »

As far as I can tell, there hasn't been a specific discussion on this, but I apologize if I missed it.

In the near future, I hope to get a 24v DC to 110v AC converter. I'd like to hear from folks who have had actual, personal experience with different brands, models, etc. 24-110, 24-12, or 24-whatever. I'm not interested in installing extra batteries, alternators, solar panels, or wind turbines. I'd like to just get input from people who have actually used specific products and can give first-hand input.

The discussion I'm hoping this generates won't be specific to me or my applications, so I'll avoid details about amps, watts, ohms, minimums, maximums, sine wave frequencies, ambient temperature, etc. I (and others to follow) can figure out all that, based on our needs. I know "it all depends," but I'm not looking for anyone to interpret my needs and recommend a purchase. The odds of any one of us having used a converter for identical applications is slim. Please just share what YOU have had experience with and how impressed you were (or were not).

Thanks. Will
krick3tt

Re: 24v DC to AC converter - actual user input wanted

Post by krick3tt »

I use a 24 to 12 for my radio and CB...I like it.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I had bought and used a Samlex 24V to 120V modified sine wave inverter, rated at 1500W, to run a small microwave from the truck batteries. Worked well, but if you needed to "cook" for 15 minutes or more then it is best if the engine is running to keep the batteries from getting too discharged.

Sine wave inverters are the best, and will run anything in their wattage range (modified sine wave units create problems for some equipment) but the true sine wave units are much more expensive.

Currently I'm using a 24V, 2400W modified sine wave inverter made by Trace Engineering (it's an older, DR series) but it is tough, dependable, and best of all I found it at a garage sale for $50... :D
Last edited by Jimm391730 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

My expedition truck has 24v to 240v DC to AC inverter. It is rated 300W and is used for the electric cooler, recharging camera batteries and was used for phone recharging before I got USB outlets fitted. It is wired off the breaker on the plug outlet on the back of the engine bulkhead as per Swiss 710K radio truck. http://www.pinzgauer.4x4man.com/Expedition_Ready.html
You can see it mounted above the fire extinguisher. I have altered the mount of the extinguisher but the inverter has stayed at this location as it allows cooling as well as access from front or back.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Pretty small inverter, and nicely mounted. The only problem is that it has that funny outlet on it... :lol:
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

They are very clever across the pond...they use adapters, so everything fits no matter what the hole looks like.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

The only problem is that it has that funny outlet on it... :lol:
Nah Jim, it sounds fine to me :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

Do you guys get Redarc products in the US?......they make a whole range of invertors etc across all voltages.
If so I'd highly recommend them......they are very popular for long distance touring setups etc into the Outback, and I believe they are also used by the military.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Sanel SC2420. 24V - 12V/20A DC/DC Converter

Installed by PO. Runs a Ham Radio and CB, 3 interior lights, and 4 cigarette lighters for powering electronics GPS, charging phone, etc. I think it ties into my RPM gauge as well, but don't trust me on that, have not really traced the wires yet.

Don't know much about this one, sorry, but it has not let me down yet.

Also, pic to show where/how it's mounted. Behind the driver seat, btw.
Attachments
rsz_imag1055.jpg
rsz_imag1055.jpg (105.2 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Prof. Pinz,

Just FYI on REDARC -- awesome products, E X T R E E M E L Y robust.

Unfortunately there are no distributes in the U.S. or Canada. The product that most
interested me was their Converter/Charger that accepts MPPT or 12V/24V alternator input
and outputs as a 40A 12V charger -- nothing like this on the U.S. scene.

I contacted REDARC and they connected me to a Dwn'unda exporter who I worked with to
get a Bank transfer setup so I could import a unit. It works great charging my 4 Yellow top 12V
batteries from my dual Siemens Solar panels or from the 24V alternator -- very small foot-print,
extremely high efficiency and a very well engineered unit at that.

Maybe Scotty can become a U.S. distributor :)

ron
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

So what is this fabulous jewel going to cost an interested person? US prices, of course. You left that part out.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

I have a Tripp-Lite PV2400FC inverter with extra batteries. It converts 24v DC to 110v AC and works flawlessly and can power many things. A battery integrator takes care of the battery charging. It's big and heavy, but I have a K, and there are smaller ones, depending on your needs. I can even power a large screen TV for over two hours without depleting the batteries, or a blender, or microwave, or a coffee machine, or even a small compressor.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080