Where to start?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
steckmeyer
United States of America

Where to start?

Post by steckmeyer »

The rear 4 way flashers on my 710 K have not worked since I bought it and I don't think they worked for the PO. I was rooting around under the dash thinking about working on this problem. I was most interested in the 4 way flasher switch wiring. According to a write up from EI pulling the double orange wires from the back of the switch and connecting them to another orange wire in another bundle might be necessary. I pulled the switch out and did not find any orange wire but did find an unused connection. I turned the power on to try to do some testing. While rooting around some non-OEM wiring I heard a little sizzle and saw a little smoke come off what appeared to be the connectors on the back of the 4 way switch but I can not see any signs of a short burn.

Now I do not have brake lights, turn signals or high beams. I do have low beams and the front 4 way flashers still work.

I've spent some time with the color schematic from this forum and have done some searches but have not found the obvious common node. I suspect the 4 way switch but the flashers still work. Where should I start testing?

Thanks for your consideration.
steckmeyer
United States of America

Re: Where to start?

Post by steckmeyer »

More Information:.

I did check all of the circuit breakers (several times) and they are set.
When the low beams are on the tail lights are also on
Every thing except the rear 4 way flashers worked just prior to my mischief
The heater blower and windshield wipers still work.
The engine starts and runs a well as it did before.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

check all the fuses or circuit breakers...what ever you have.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Read through here, the 4way switch is easy to disassemble and reassemble if you are inclined to do so:

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... =14&t=7086

Check the contacts for burn marks and clean them with some scotchbrite or fine emery paper (be sure to get all the grit washed off, use WD40) then put just a dab of grease on the contacts and reassemble. If symptoms change then you will know that the switch is at fault; or if you are lucky then everything will work as it should.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
steckmeyer
United States of America

Post by steckmeyer »

I've made some progress. As suggested I took a hard look at the 4 way switch. It had obviously been opened before so I jumped in. I could not find any visible internal damage so I put it back together. I went through the tests to match the connectors and determined that they do switch continuity. That made the switch much less suspect. Next I hit the wonderful color schematic from this forum and found two obvious power inputs. I checked both at the circuit breakers and found out the #12 was tripped and will not reset. I jumped it with an inline fuse and wallaahhaa I was back where I started with turn signals, break lights and high beams.

No I am facing the daunting task of dealing with a circuit breaker replacement. I know I can just permanently jump it with an inline fuse but that offends my sensibilities, at least for now. Any advice on circuit breaker replacement will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help and interest.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Do some searching here. IIRC, others have replaced them with marine type breakers, and I believe some were almost a direct replacement fit. I've never had the pleasure...