What is a 'screening unit'?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
kdiqq
United States of America

What is a 'screening unit'?

Post by kdiqq »

Can anyone tell me what this screening unit is (item #8) at this link?
http://www.puch.at/en/spare-parts/pinzg ... uppressor/

Before I go running wires, I found this whole electrical setup behind my seat and wanted to use it for my heater. It terminates in a REALLY nice junction box and is fused. I just don't know what this big screening unit is. My suspicion is that it is a noise suppressor, which if that's the case, I should have no issues running my heater off this and my life gets 600% easier.

Thanks!
1977 Austrian 710M
krick3tt

Re: What is a 'screening unit'?

Post by krick3tt »

My understanding is that is a noise suppressor for a radio. I removed mine long ago. Mine was attached to the dizzy and was in the engine compartment not behind the seat. Only thing behind the seat is a receiver for a radio plug but I did not see a fuse.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Here's what mine looks like as an FYI. I measured voltage and the device has some capacitance. Given that it takes a 25A fuse, I don't think a heater will hurt it.Image

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

It is always interesting to see the many configurations that these vehicles can take. Thanks for letting us see another.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Hey I wouldn't know what was different unless someone told me! Haha

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M