Airing down with factory wheels & tubeless tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Airing down with factory wheels & tubeless tires

Post by ChickenPinz »

What are people's experiences with airing down with factory wheels and tubeless tires? How low will you go? Anyone lost a bead when aired down?

Experiences with LT255/85R16 Falken Wildpeak M/T tires on factory wheels ideal, but beggars can't be choosers!
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Airing down with factory wheels & tubeless tires

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

There's some discussion covering this. Check out these- I think there's more: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 050#p84050

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =15&t=8981

18psi is pretty safe and seems close to the universally accepted range, in general. Makes a huge difference and is my go-to. I've gone lower for certain climbs too.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have the aftermarket aluminum wheels and have put Coyote inrernal bead locks in them. I go down to 10 psi. Before I put the bead locks I had trouble at 15 psi. I would drive mud and pieces of wood between the bead and the tire. I really like the internal bead locks.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli »

My experiences with 255 Toyo open country M/T and Ford Transit rims (those do have a "tubeless hump" in opposite to the original ones) on a 710 MS: 2000 miles in sahara dunes and pistes down to 8 PSI without failure. No need for bead locks. The Tunesian part of the Sahara consists of nasty small dunes, that force you to a constant turning and twisting. Thats the "perfect stresstest" for the bead ... the missing hump increases the risk of breaking the bead unwillingly, so I would not challange more than 10 psi in that combination.

Regards Simon