Maloya tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
satosh
United States of America

Maloya tires

Post by satosh »

So I have my original maloya tires on my 6x6 and to replace all six is 2.5-3k for the coopers I want. Given that cost can someone tell me exactly why I NEED to replace them asap even though they are in good shape very minimal rot if any. Hold air great good amount of tread left too. I see everyone saying replace asap but no one saying exactly why. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Re: Maloya tires

Post by ChickenPinz »

From what I read, if you drive on rain, ice, or packed-snow roads, the Maloyas are on the scary side.
Stumbler
United States of America

Post by Stumbler »

There's nothing wrong with 98% of each one of your tires. You just don't know where the 2% is, and it doesn't say and it gives you no warning when it gives out. That 2% is pretty important. (It's usually about the size of a hole or crack)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Unless you plan to use rocky off-road, on a farm, and never see a highway, the Maloyas are only "ok". They are an extremely old technology tire that went away over 40 years ago. Like NDT tires, they are hard as rocks and have little traction on wet slippery paved road. I've had 4 Pinzes in 21 years. My 710 had the Maloyas for a few weeks, my 712 had them for 1 day. The first day I had my 712 I had it on a wet sweeping freeway transition when I determined that they are a democratic tire on a 712 and voted 4 to 2 to go straight and it required extra coaxing to get them to follow the road. I put BFG's on both ( though there's are numerous good tires). My 716 was a Swedish municipal truck with Coopers. My current 718K came from ATL with BFG MTs which was the standard tire for them (285/75 but on wider rims)

People seem to think of Maloyas as the "Pinz" tire, but in fact the Maloyas were only on Swiss contract Pinzgauers, which made up roughly 1/3 of the total gas Pinzes manufactured, and Maloya is a Swiss tire manufactuer, hence is why they were used. Unless specified otherwise by contract the standard tire supplied by SDP would have been Semperit 235/85 tires.

255/85 is a good choice of a tire with a little extra height for a improved road speed. 285/75 are the same height but are a bit too wide for the rims and extra muscles needed to steer ( and 255s can easily be aired down for the same footprint and airing down 285s greatly increases your chances to roll off the rims)
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I keep the Maloyas for when I want to have a classic parade look for the truck.

For driving, though, I went with Falken Wildpeak MT01 LT255/85R16. After much research, I found (as others have) that this is the sweet-spot size.
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

Hi ChickenPinz,
Can the Falken's be mounted to the stock rims or do you need the Ford transits?

Thanks,

Bob V 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

LT255/85R16 tires can be mounted on the stock wheels (rims). Note that the rim design does not have the bead retaining ridge.

They are like the bottom profile (pictured below), whereas most modern rims are of the upper profile.
US4606390-drawings-page-2.png
US4606390-drawings-page-2.png (51.18 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

Thanks for your response & information. I'm looking into going with the transit rims. They seem affordable & readily available. Also receiving a lot of Pinz owner endorsements. Great to have your tire endorsement as well.

Best.....Bob V 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
jan.bauwmans

Post by jan.bauwmans »

I have the Falken Wildpeaks on the stock rims with inner tires and fits perfectly !Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk

ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

jan.bauwmans wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:52 am I have the Falken Wildpeaks on the stock rims with inner tires and fits perfectly !

Are you saying you put tubes in these tubeless tires?
jan.bauwmans

Post by jan.bauwmans »

Yes indeed and on the original rims