How to jack up a 712M when I want to remove 2 tires ?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
JNijst
Netherlands

How to jack up a 712M when I want to remove 2 tires ?

Post by JNijst »

Gents,

I want to powder-coat my wheels, but I am not sure where exactly to put the support (2 x 3 ton-supports). I can obviously only do two wheels at the time if I don't want my Pinz to fall over, so I am planning for that. Preferably I would like to do the sides first (right-side or left-side), as that is easier in my rather narrow garage, but I could also jack-up the end or the front. I think jacking up the front or back would be more stable...
Any idea what would be the best place to put these supports ? I thought where the steel plate between the differential-box and the rest fans out to the body support. (Just behind the hand)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts !

Best regards,

Jules
Attachments
DSCF0760-small.jpg
DSCF0760-small.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 8075 times
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
Profpinz
Australia

Re: How to jack up a 712M when I want to remove 2 tires ?

Post by Profpinz »

I lift the whole front or rear (all 4 wheels on my 712) by placing a garage trolley jack with a suitable piece of wood under the front or rear diff casing. The casing are very thick on the bottom (and top....same part), so providing the check straps are intact all will be fine.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Ditto. For the rear of a 712, I have an 8"x8" wooden beam, maybe 4' long, that supports both diffs. with a floor jack under it. You can either lift front or rears, and the opposite end will provide stability while one end is off the ground.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I've lifted the front diff and put jack stands under the ends of the axles (in the area where you would normally jack each wheel), then lowered the front onto the jack stands. Then you can lift the rear diff and have all six wheels off the ground. It is not terribly stable like this (don't go climbing in and out) but you can also put TALL jackstands under the spring pivots on each side between the rear wheels for more stability.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
oilcan
United States of America

Post by oilcan »

curious what you plan to do with the lug nuts? put them on and spray them? just leave them naked?

thanks
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

oilcan wrote:curious what you plan to do with the lug nuts? put them on and spray them? just leave them naked?

thanks
You could also zinc plate them so they look bare but won't rust!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

Are there any benefits to getting the rims zinc plated? How about anodized? Would either of these processes damage or wear off? Is it even practical?

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” --Ayn Rand
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I had my rims hot dipped galvanized and like the look - this was done about 10 years ago and they look the same today and when they were done. They fit the look of a military / utility vehicle.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...benefits to getting the rims zinc plated? How about anodized?
The rims are steel; anodizing is only for aluminum. Since steel rusts, zinc is added (plated on the steel) and it is, through chemistry, going to be consumed first. But zinc doesn't rust, so you don't really see it being used up. The steel won't rust or oxidize until virtually all the zinc is gone. The zinc is not a paint, it will protect the steel even at some distance even if the steel is exposed (perhaps an inch or so). You can purchase "Cold Galvanizing Compound" which is a zinc filled paint, and it works very well in my opinion; Galvanizing is the term used for zinc plated onto the steel.

Powdercoating, like paint, is just a covering to prevent oxygen from reaching the steel to form rust. This works well until a chip or crack develops that allows holes in the covering, then rust will start, possibly neatly hidden under the coating. Galvanizing, on the other hand, completely stops rust even if small sections of steel are laid bare. Galvanizing can be redone when necessary. Since galvanizing is an additional coating of zinc, it is not likely to be as smooth and pretty as paint or powdercoating would be, but it is probably the best protection against rust that you could do for your rims.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Haf-e wrote:I had my rims hot dipped galvanized and like the look - this was done about 10 years ago and they look the same today and when they were done. They fit the look of a military / utility vehicle.
Do you have any pics? I'm curious to see what they look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

They look light gray... the pictures I sent to you with the aluminum top had them... I'll try to get some more recent pics of the ones on the truck and the 2nd spare rim which I've never used side-by-side to show how they have weathered.

There are several places in the Seattle area that accept small batches of automotive parts for galvanizing - I think there is a 100 lb (part weight) minimum charge or something. The parts need to be sandblasted first to remove all of the paint but surface rust isn't an issue - at one place they batch up all of the work outdoors in the rain even. Nice to not have to worry about that (like you do with powdercoating) especially here in the rainy PNW where raw metal starts to rust quickly. There is a new place up in the Arlington area - the other places I have used are in Ballard and one down by the airport.

I haven't had any problems with beads on the tires sealing - but I have heard of others saying that can be an issue - I've done it on about 3 vehicles different vehicles.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Here you go... This is the spare rim that has been stored outdoors and has some dirt / sawdust on it.
Attachments
Galv Pinz Rim Spare 2.jpg
Galv Pinz Rim Spare 2.jpg (898.41 KiB) Viewed 7917 times
Pinz rear 2 medium.jpg
Pinz rear 2 medium.jpg (952.33 KiB) Viewed 7917 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Thanks, I've seen that finish before and didn't know what it was. They look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Not to totally derail this thread but...
Half-e your truck has some cool features beyond the galv rims!
Rerouted exhaust with spark arrestor is interesting as are the top wooden rails - is that a comfort thing?
Extra jerry can mounts etc
Hard top you have posted before.
Would be cool if you posted info about your truck and your mods (new thread?)
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

I am glad you pointed those things out on his.Pinz. I would have missed the top rail and the spark arrestor. Nice..
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist