Time for new front springs..

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Time for new front springs..

Post by Haf-e »

A while ago I had a friend make me up a set of front spring spacers to extend the original ball "seat" part downward. I haven't put them in yet. I would be willing to supply them to GadgetPhreak's truck if he wants to try them out. I can always make up another set - they are pretty simple.

There was a slight mis-communication and the height of the extensions was only 22 mm - which is about the minimum that a part can be made for this approach to work. I was wanting it to be 1 inch / 25 mm instead.

Here are some photos with dimensions:
Front spring spacer.jpg
Front spring spacer.jpg (291.62 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Front spring spacer Dimensions .jpg
Front spring spacer Dimensions .jpg (621.91 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
This approach retains the ball seat for the upper spring cup. It would be hard to replicate the original part's inner curved surface with a simple lathe - so the idea of making an extension seemed like an easier approach.

Thoughts?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I'd happily give them a try and post feedback and photos. I picked up a set of parabolic springs from Dan and am ordering up all new parts for the rest of the stack while I have it all torn apart. I should have all parts here in the next week or so and we can tear into it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Good. Will be interested in seeing the results.

I think the springs you got are "progressive" and not "parabolic"...
parabolic springs relates to leaf springs - so I hope that isn't what you plan on swapping in!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Yes, progressive... Been clearing trees all day on my property and running a bit ragged and tired ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beez

Post by Beez »

The originals should be easy to make on a lathe, in any length desired, including the hemispherical seat at the bottom of the bore. Drilling will rough out a conical bottomed hole, finish with a ball end mill to create the hemispherical seat. That's just one method of many.
:mrgreen:
Chris
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Yes - I should have said "not easy to make on the simple lathe I had access to..."

The brand new part I ordered from SAV to use to make the extensions has a funny looking finish on the ball seat area - not like the rest of it - perhaps they hardened that area somehow? Hard to show it in a photo.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Beez

Post by Beez »

:D
Interesting. Did you attempt to mark it with a file or scribe to see if it was hard?

If it needs to be hard the part could be fabricated from drill rod, hardened and tempered to taste.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

UPDATE: I picked up the progressive rate springs that Linden Engineering made and that have passed through a few hands now (Undysworld and TechMOGogy both had them at one point..). I also ordered all of the available hardware above and below the springs (will keep the originals as spares). I also still have new front shocks to install at the same time.

Chris (Haf-E) has the factory compressor and is planning to come over and allow me to ply him with some spare parts and food to give me a hand swapping it all out.

Some of the parts are back-ordered at EI, I have the parts in hand that I ordered from SAV. Once all parts arrive we'll tear into it and see how Chris' spacers work.

We will try to remember to capture some photos along the way and post up our results after we finish. We are still a week or two out from all parts being on hand and getting into the garage.

Cheers,
Ben