US Ford transit wheels fit the 712k!!!!!

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Brady 712k
United States of America

US Ford transit wheels fit the 712k!!!!!

Post by Brady 712k »

I have been looking for different rims to fit on my 712k and with the price of Hutchinson Wheels being what they are I was looking at the thread of european-spec Ford Transit Wheels fitting. I decided to buy a us-spec for Transit rim and It Bolts up just fine!
I end up buying 7 of them for about five hundred fifty bucks shipped they came gloss black.... I painted them matte green.... bought the appropriate lug nuts for them and all is well. I even drilled a hole in one of the rims to line up with the brake adjusting screw on the drum so that way I do not have to remove the wheel to adjust the drum brakes.
I can't really see any issues with me drilling a hole in the rim so far.... I even drilled the hole in the rim after the tires were mounted and balanced on the rims and I still do not feel any issues with that hole drilled out. As long as the rim is fine over the next few hundred kilometers all end up drilling out the other six. I have wheeled with them in Vermont last weekend and they held up just fine no issues at all.
I'll post pictures tomorrow!
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: US Ford transit wheels fit the 712k!!!!!

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hi Brady 712k

My Pinz also runs on Transit rims. In Europe we do plenty of paperwork, so I got a cert from Ford indicating the max wheel load of these rims at 1150 kg.
This cert contains a picture of the rims. If (god help me) I get into an accident and the investigation checks my truck I can prove it is road safe.
Having drilled holes into a safety relevant component I quickly get into a situation where I have to prove my innocence.

I don't want to imagine a situation with the rim disintegrating at highway speeds, but I generally think weakening a safety relevant component is a bad idea !!!!
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

What size are the US Transit wheels? 16" x ??? width?? Think I found the answer, 16 x 6.5", same as the Pinz wheels.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The US Ford Transit wheels are very similar to the stock Pinzgauer 710/712 wheels - but they have safety beads on them to keep a low pressure tire from popping off the rim. The offset is slightly less (ET60 vs ET75?) - so they stick out a bit more (about 1/2 inch each side) which is quite acceptable (especially with the taller tires most people put on their Pinzgauers) and adds slightly to stability.

There is a seller I got a set from from ebay.de in Germany called "Tunershop-Germany" which has a version of the wheel which looks better to me - more like the TD Pinzgauer stock wheels - here is a link - just be careful because they also offer 15 inch versions which will not fit.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-Steel-wheel-6- ... 2a7c98c4d3

There are several other threads on these rims here on the forum.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

The European Transit rims do have more circles around the edge, but I like the fact that I can just order up $80 rims from us spec Ford transits.
As for the issue of holes being drilled into the rims at quote highway speeds.... the fact that I'm only doing at best 55 to 60 miles an hour I'm not really worried about any issues with the rims and as far as off-road use I can't see how the rim would fail at 3 miles an hour.
And as far as accidents in the US unless it was the rim coming off of the vehicle I can't imagine any accident investigation looking at The Rim to make sure that it was proper for the vehicle.
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

Here are the rims....
You can make out the hole I added to the rim it's just near but below the valve stem.
Attachments
Had to modify the spare tire carrier... I needed longer studs and I had to get rid of the little lip that supports the tire in the center
Had to modify the spare tire carrier... I needed longer studs and I had to get rid of the little lip that supports the tire in the center
20170619_154134-3024x2268.jpg (934.06 KiB) Viewed 10236 times
20170619_154047-3024x2268.jpg
20170619_154047-3024x2268.jpg (963.34 KiB) Viewed 10236 times
The hole by valve stem is the one i added.
The hole by valve stem is the one i added.
20170619_154038-4032x3024.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 10236 times
20170619_154031-4032x3024.jpg
20170619_154031-4032x3024.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 10236 times
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

are they lighter than a stock rim?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

weight should be the same, but they allow for tubeless tyres (as mentioned earlier)
Cheers
Albert
========================
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Can you post a photo from the front along the side to allow viewing of how much they stick out?

I think they have an ET of 60 vs. the stock rim being an ET of 75 - so they should be 15 mm more outward on each side.

They look good in my opinion. Lots on ebay / craigslist too for as low as $75 with free shipping.

The Euro ones I got off ebay.de weighed about the same as the stock rim and I would expect these to as well.

You''ll need new lug nuts but they are easy to get - I picked up them from Costco's tire center as they have a nice variety on hand cheap and you can buy them one at a time.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Just noticed that the back wheel in that photo (the rear most wheel) looks like the lug nuts do not have much thread engagement? Looks like they are different than the other wheel? You can't use the stock "ball seat" lug nuts with the Transit wheels - you need "cone" type.

Doesn't look safe to me!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

What you're looking at are the stock Ford Transit nuts with the proper 60-degree cone seat. Those nuts are designed to engage with the Hub Cap on the transit which is why it looks like there is not that much engagement if you actually look closely there is no thread on the inside of that part of the nut.
The other lug nuts you see that look different are generic Dornan 60° cone seat nuts they're smaller don't have the provisions for grabbing the hub cap.
You are correct the Pinzgauer ball seats nuts would not sit properly with these wheels that is why they are not being used!
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

These wheels have nothing to do with being tubeless.... I ran the stock 1977 Pinzgauer rims with bfgs and no tubes fine for a year-and-a-half the deal with these rims is they have the safety bead so you don't roll the tire off the rim as easy......
and tomorrow I can get a photo of what it looks like from head on to see the offset difference.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Brady712k

Sorry to object, but you seem to ignore some basic facts.
the original rim is 6,5 K 16, as opposed the the Ford rim with 6,5 j16

the letter definition can be found here http://www.pinzgauer.ch/en/pinzgauer_pa ... pinzgauers

it is considererd an irresponsible behaviour to rum K rims without a tube, as there is no hump on the rim that can hold the tyre in place.
Any insurance investigation will discover that misconfig and deny converage.
Not everything that seems to work is designed to work that way ...

Just my 5 cents of wisdom
Cheers
Albert
========================
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Glad to hear its just some odd looking lug nuts!

While I ran tubeless tires on the stock "K" type pinzgauer rims for over 15 years - Using the correct "J" type rims is safer and better - you'll be less likely to loose a bead when the tires are at low inflation pressures. Germany has some severe rules and reactions to not following them that is not common here in the USA - but that isn't an excuse to do something that isn't safe - but its your choice.

With the availability of low cost Ford Transit steel wheels (take-offs) there is less of an excuse to run the stock wheels. If you drive frequently at high speeds you might consider doing it.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

Well then to that end..... I never aired down on the trail or on road so less likely to roll a bead on the K rims....
Now they are J rims so the safety bead and lug nuts will have me rolling safley!