Locker/4x4 slave cylinders

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
SAM. C.

Locker/4x4 slave cylinders

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I have removed my 6 wheel drive and locker cylinders (4 of them), There were no leaks so I have cleaned them up a treat. Now I am re-installing the pistons and they seem really tight. I have smeared the barrels and pistons well with plenty of fluid so I am pretty sure it’s not that. I seem to remember taking them out they were nowhere near as tight. Should they slide freely? Or should they take a bit of pressure to make them move by hand?

Thanks

Sam
undysworld
Norway

Re: Locker/4x4 slave cylinders

Post by undysworld »

Sam,
Not sure of where you're describing the pressure, but they do have a spring assembly that preloads the engagement splines when you depress a lever. It allows you to drop the lever even if the splines aren't meshing yet. When they line up, the spring pushes the lock collar into the locked position.
Is it possible you are encountering some pressure from these springs? Seems like a long shot, but it's the only sort of intentional resistance I can recall.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Thanks for the reply. I have the slave cylinders off and I am trying to push the pistons back in the bores but they are really tight. I can get them in but they are really stiff to push in and out and I think this cant be right. I have just had a thought could the seals have swelled up? I have used DOT 4 for a while now and I am wondering if this could be the problem.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Some swelling may be normal, but...
What did you use to clean things up? Any mineral oil based stuff may well have contaminated them and caused them to swell, I'd think.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Back from the dead.
I was looking in the manual today and there was mention of not mixing up the pistons and bores as they are a matched tolerance component. Could this have been the issue? Hopefully you're still not working on this 3 years later!