Squishy brakes

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
mmcc100
United States of America

Squishy brakes

Post by mmcc100 »

Long story short. ..
I had new pads, adjustments, master cylinder and booster put on. The brakes worked fine until the Pinzgauer sat for a few months. Driving the other day, the brakes still stop me, but the pedal is very squishy and doesn't "pop" back up. I have to lift the pedal with my foot or they stay depressed/active.
It was suggested that my rubber hoses have swollen and need to be replaced and rebled. Any other causes before I dive in? Anything to watch out for? Could it just be air in the system? I count 4 hoses (2 front and 2 back) on the 710m. Am I missing something?
rmel
United States of America

Re: Squishy brakes

Post by rmel »

The pedal spring should be sufficient to return to the top position, unless your spring is broken.
The springs on the shoes should be return the slave pistons back inside the cylinder. With
essentially all new hydraulics nothing should be binding. Wouldn't rule out air in the system
as well.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Squishy brakes

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Would certainly look towards the springs and possible air in lines. People neglect to change their brake fluid on a regular basis. Might be a good time for system flush.