Swiss 710k Wheel Cylinder Seize

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
BobV
United States of America

Swiss 710k Wheel Cylinder Seize

Post by BobV »

My 76 Swiss 710k was pulling a bit to the left during more aggressive stops. Not severe but concerning. Also my drivers side wheel was hotter when checked. After a drive I pulled that wheel & it was definitely snug & hard to turn. At that time I couldn't get the drum off as I didn't have the correct jack screws or time. I did open the inspection port & loosened the adjustment. I got the wheel to turn freely, put the wheel on & test drove it. Hard stops were good & no pull. Still felt there was more to it. Overt the weekend I pull the wheel got jack screws & removed the drum. The pads had uniform & acceptable wear. Upon test pumping the brakes i noticed the right wheel cylinder wasn't moving. Took the dust boot off & it was seized solid. It froze retracted so I can't grip the cylinder. I've tried unsuccessfully to free it. Questions: Any tips for salvaging it? Should I just replace both cylinders? I am just getting into the brakes having owning the 710k since February. To be honest I've been impressed at how well its been stopping until this pull. I've read I believe in this forum that it's a good investment to just replace all the brake hardware. The truck is 46 years old. I'm totally impressed with its condition, the engineering & capability. Don't want to take a chance with brakes. Rebuild or replace? What's been your experience here? Thanks as always for your advice & shared experience.

Best,

Bob V
76 Swiss 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
whitesik
United States of America

Re: Swiss 710k Wheel Cylinder Seize

Post by whitesik »

I just did the brakes ot my 710K a few months ago. The springs and shoes were caked with debris and rusty. Two springs broke when removed. I replaced the shoes and all springs. Removed, cleaned and lubed the adjusters. Drums did not have enough remaining to turn so I bought new drums. However the wheel cylinders were not leaking and moved well. Right or wrong, I elected not to replace them. More than once, I have tried to replace a functioning part just because it was old and have broken something else getting it off. I feared the brake line would not come off the cylinders easily so I did not touch them. If one would have been leaking or "frozen" as yours, I would have replaced them with new ones. I have no regrets at this time in leaving the old cylinders in place.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

I feel the same way. These really look like the original cylinders. At 46 years old & one seized I'll just replace the pair & the lines at the hub. Better to play it safe.

Thanks for your feedback. Great to hear from someone who's been down this road already.

Best,

BobV
76 Swiss 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Glad to help out. Usually I am on the receiving end of these threads. If you are willing to share, where are you located?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

It great getting help from people who have "been there done that" with this vehicle. The forum is such a wealth of information & contacts. Really makes ownership & maintenance easier than going it alone.

I'm from Glen Mills PA. About 30 miles south of Philadelphia.

Thanks for your support!

Best,

~BobV
76 Swiss 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k