Limiting Straps-- Nylon Install

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
springhill

Limiting Straps-- Nylon Install

Post by springhill »

I finally put my new straps on.
I was told to order the new straps one inch shorter than the originals. They are supposed to stretch more than the originals.

These pics show how the original straps broke. The one on the front passenger side was only one year old.

My original thought was to use only one strap, but after mounting the first one I decided to use two per mount ( I would rather over do it than have to go back and redo it!!)
"Growing Old is Mandatory
Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

I cut the original bushings out to use as spacers. Hopefully this will also help to keep the bolts from bending.
I used a hand grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. I went through one cutoff wheel per strap. They don't last long!
I then cut the bushing in half (Bottom mount only) using a cut off saw. I actually cut the bushing off center in order to move the stress points closer to the axle.
I trimmed about a half inch off the bushing for the top mount.
Here is the top mount.
Bottom Mount.
Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

Mounted pics---front driver.
Passenger side. Notice that I mounted the straps different than the driver side. One end of the strap is three ply and the other is 2 ply. I thought I would experiment to see if one set up is better than the other ( Confusing??).
Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

Finally, this is the driver side rear.

Growing Up is Optional"
springhill

Post by springhill »

I hope these will work good--$30 per strap is pretty cheap!
Also, one reason I keep breaking the front ones is probably due to new springs in the front. SAV sent me heavy duty ones (?) and they are extremely stiff. I never bottom them out! I will test these out and post back ( 6 months or so ).
Growing Up is Optional"
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I doubt SAV sent you HD springs.... yours were worn out if you were bottoming them ( check the stripes on the springs for the rating). Like shock absorbers, you don't know yours were bad until you have new ones. :wink:

boy, I'm glad I don't need to deal with limiting straps. :lol:

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
springhill

Post by springhill »

David,
Must be nice to not have straps---i think you've got life too easy! :D
I've had these new springs on for a little over a year now and they are still way to stiff. My pinz is used as a feed wagon and carries about 2000 extra pounds all the time. I would think the springs would soften up a little.

Did ambulances have a higher rated spring? I told SAV what I was doing with my pinz, and they said they would fix me up---I assumed that meant a little heavier duty spring. It is stiffer than any pinz i have ridden in. :roll:

I am considering putting the feeder on the 6x6 for the smoother ride!

john
Growing Up is Optional"
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

John
The springs ( if from SDP ) would have a series of painted rings on one end of the spring to designate the rating. Though likely never changed, the pin under the spring cup is available in different lengths. That too can account for a harsh ride if the springs have too much preload.

Actually, back when I did have a 710M and 712M, the 712 had a smoother ride, and took bumps in the road better at speed. Other than the extra axle ( and what it affords) and 30" in the bed, the Pink Cow can do everything a 712 can, and with the same capacities. But at the same time, I must maintain coolant, air and more vacuum lines ( but less hydraulics :D ).

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Springhill,
After replacing my ft springs I blew both orig limit straps. I replaced them with the aftermarket SAV units they had,BOTH of them blew. Installed orig equip steaps ($$ :x ) all was ok. I also backed them up with the same limit straps you have about 8 mos ago and all is well. Your idea is where I will end up if another strap (4 more in rear to go!) breaks. Nice work.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I don't know why they don't use a round surface where the strap attaches. The sharper edge is sure to cause premature failure of the nylon straps.
The front springs don't appear to be the graduated rod type that the original SDP springs were, could just be the picture though.
Curiously waiting for your report in 6 months or so.
Mike
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

If poeple are continually blowing something, in this case the limit straps, does that not suggest an underlying problem?

What is causing them to go is it abrasion or repeated stress leading to fatigue?

Is this a common problem amongst pinzgauer owners or only a few of them?

I would be curious to know. My first thought are that the shock absorbers might be worn allowing too much force to be applied to the straps at full extension. I know that Koni manufacture shock absorbers with built in valves that limit the terminal velocity at the end of stoke a form of bump valve. This limits the forces that can be transmitted to the chassis at end range by slowing the piston rod exponentially.
Anthony
GB
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I broke them with the stock shock and then switched to the Rancho 9000s and have broken them then also. Again it seems that it is on the washboard roads where I seem to experience the most breakage. I am not yet convinced that the 9000s are the perfect replacement on the Pinz. When the shocks on my 710 fail I will be looking at an alternative. I don't experience strap failure on my 710 but only on the 712 and mainly in the back axles. Curious enough I even brake bottom shock bolts on my Dodge Durango with the Rancho 9000s. Could be a shock related issue.
Mike
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

mjnims wrote:I broke them with the stock shock and then switched to the Rancho 9000s and have broken them then also. Again it seems that it is on the washboard roads where I seem to experience the most breakage. I am not yet convinced that the 9000s are the perfect replacement on the Pinz. When the shocks on my 710 fail I will be looking at an alternative. I don't experience strap failure on my 710 but only on the 712 and mainly in the back axles. Curious enough I even brake bottom shock bolts on my Dodge Durango with the Rancho 9000s. Could be a shock related issue.
Mike,
It kinda makes sense that the 712 would break more straps. Think about the amount of time that the rear axles are off the ground individually on a 712 compared with a 710. I don't think I have a single picture of me wheeling in the 712 with all 6 tires on the ground. IMHO, but it does make sense.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

could also have to do with us running around in them fully unloaded. Most of us have had our Pinzies loaded with people once and know the difference when it has a payload, the way it was designed to be.
Mike
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The retaining straps may well come under tension more at the back however I do not feel that they should be come in contact violently. The shock absorbers should cushion the blow or snap tension.
Anthony
GB