Steering Issue?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
undysworld
Norway

Steering Issue?

Post by undysworld »

Hi All,

Wierd problem here, and I'm hoping some experience might shed some light on it. I seem to have some looseness in my steering, but I'll be darned if I can find it. The problem shows up best while the truck is still sitting on its' tires.

I notice what seems like a looseness in the passenger-side steering, especially when I make a left-hand turn off of our 4-lane hwy. (yeah, they have them here) It occurs as the right tire drops off the main pavement onto the shoulder.

I've inspected the front end, and I do not find any play at the tie rods nor the idler pivot in the middle (I shimmed the pivot due to play years ago). I didn't find play where the axle pivots at the differential, although if great pressure needs to be used, I'm not sure if I checked it thouroughy.

Any thoughts or advice on further testing?

Thanks,
Paul Underwood
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

OK, I guess it should have been obvious last night. The looseness is at the pivot bolts (king pins). So the question becomes, is this a repair I should be tackling? Has anybody had this experience before me?
Thanks,
Paul
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Way back when I worked for Dennis he had one come in with this problem. If memory serves, it was cheaper to replace the 1/2 shaft with a used assembly. Let me refresh my memory with the manual and get back to you about what has to be done. Ski lift control circuits on the brain. Have to reboot and refresh. :oops:
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I knew Maybach made great engines, but that was a good beer (Maibock) I shared with a friend.

I hope your problem is resolved.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

John,

Glad to hear that the Maibock made the rounds! That's a good friend to have.

We got back safely and got the wheel drives slid on.

Yesterday we put the finishing touches on my new spring compressor. Today it gets it's first workout and hopefully she's back on the road.

BTW, when the work's done out west, feel free to come to Wisconsin and help me build my rope tow for our farm. 8) All the food and beer you can eat!!

Cheers,
Paul
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Maybe we can look at finding one of these. Don't laugh at the 80's ski gear and the broom stick holding up the trunk.

www.grabandgoropetow.com
jarvarisgoss

Re: Steering Issue?

Post by jarvarisgoss »

undysworld wrote:Hi All,

Wierd problem here, and I'm hoping some experience might shed some light on it. I seem to have some looseness in my steering, but I'll be darned if I can find it. The problem shows up best while the truck is still sitting on its' tires.

I notice what seems like a looseness in the passenger-side steering, especially when I make a left-hand turn off of our 4-lane hwy. (yeah, they have them here) It occurs as the right tire drops off the main pavement onto the shoulder.

I've inspected the front end, and I do not find any play at the tie rods nor the idler pivot in the middle (I shimmed the pivot due to play years ago). I didn't find play where the axle pivots at the differential, although if great pressure needs to be used, I'm not sure if I checked it thouroughy.

Any thoughts or advice on further testing?

Thanks,
Paul Underwood
Have you ever thought about going to power steering? check out this website if you are. http://www.woodwardsteering.com/