Brakes

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
jarvarisgoss

Brakes

Post by jarvarisgoss »

I have a '73 Pinz 712m. I need new brake pads. Where can I find them? My local Auto zone, Advance Auto, and Pep boys. Looks at me with a weird look. LOL. Or do anyone know what fits? I play on going all disc brakes later this year.
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Click on above sponsor banner for "Expedition Imports" or look up "Swiss Army vehicles" :wink: Great quick service from both!!
Just get in and go....
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

You can also find a local shop that services drum brakes for big rigs. In Denver I've had good luck with DriveTrain Industries. They will remove the old pads, clean everything, put on new shoes, turn the drums if necessary and then trim the shoes to match the drums they are paired with.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I think you need to reduce the size of your avatar "jarvarisgoss" .... it's a bit big!
(Maybe from 830 pix at present to around 170 wide)
I play on going all disc brakes later this year.
Err ... Good luck with that! :? :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
jarvarisgoss

Post by jarvarisgoss »

I play on going all disc brakes later this year.
Err ... Good luck with that! :? :D[/quote]

The Steyr company in Austria provides the Disc brakes for the Pinzgauer. I talked to the tech support and they said it would be a factory fit. They also have a upgrade kit you can buy for 15,000 euros. The upgrade kit includes Installation of a 5.0 liter steyr inline 6 turbo diesel. It's a 350 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque and comes with a ZF Friedrichshafen AG six-speed manual transmission.

It improves the availability of maintenance and logistics, increases the vehicle safety and survivability ,results in a longer drive range , reduced operational and maintenance costs, A new designed cooling system to improve engine performance. The improved electrical system meets the requirements of the modernized vehicles. The steering system is upgraded by a hydraulic powered system. The system works on hydraulic pressure and enables easy and accurate steering. All wheel disc brakes, A/C unit, and many other upgrades comes with the kit.

You can ship your Pinz to them or they will ship everything to you to install. I am strongly considering it.
ka

Post by ka »

whoa.... all this for 710's and 712's? why is this the 1st time i've heard of this??????
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

a 5 liter I6 engine? that's almost the size of a cummins b series. sounds awfully big and heavy to put in a 710 or 712. But it could be done I suppose....
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That's 21,005.9 USD at todays exchange rate :shock: :roll: :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
jarvarisgoss

Post by jarvarisgoss »

ka wrote:whoa.... all this for 710's and 712's? why is this the 1st time i've heard of this??????
Yes, I found out about it last week.
yaknowthatguy wrote:a 5 liter I6 engine? that's almost the size of a cummins b series. sounds awfully big and heavy to put in a 710 or 712. But it could be done I suppose....
Thats what I thought too. but they a sured me that it was not heavy. the guy also said there were no welding involved. I was happy when he said that a AC unit comes with the upgrades too. 8)
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

No offence meant, but I think someone is pulling somebodies leg :lol: :D :roll: :wink:
I can just imagine 350hp through a Pinny driveline! :roll:

Hey Dave, can we experiment with the Pink Cow!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

jarvarisgoss

Post by jarvarisgoss »

Profpinz wrote:No offence meant, but I think someone is pulling somebodies leg :lol: :D :roll: :wink:

no problem I thought the same thing at first also until I was giving a list of business in Europe who did this sort of thing. Here are the companies I have talked too about Pinzgauer upgrades.

GUT AUTOMOBILE
Gusch 418
CH 8618 Oetwil am See
emailinfo@gut-automobile.ch
fon +41 (0)44 929 06 73
fax +41 (0)44 929 06 43

Saymar
1 Azrieli Center, Circular Tower,
132 Menachem Begin Road,
Tel Aviv 67021, Israel
Tel: +972 3 6967333
Fax: +972 3 6968555
E-mail: info@saymar.co.il
Web: www.saymar.co.il

Bosch Car Service -Steyr Puch
We are reachable by: Mon-Fri 13:30 to 17:00
Tel: +43 (0) 2282/82 47 - Fax: +43 (0) 2282/610 47
Dörfles 2253, Protteserstr. Lot 125 / 7
Email: office@mueller-kfz.at
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

GUT are well known in the Pinzgauer field, but if someone/anyone told me you could put 350hp through a 710/712 driveline I'd have to ask them what they'd been smoking! :D

Still....good luck with it and I look forward to seeing the resultant damage...err I mean setup!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:That's 21,005.9 USD at todays exchange rate :shock: :roll: :roll:
That's not a bad price considering to put factory disc brakes on a 712 runs about five grand an axle.

jarvarisgoss, You may have your numbers wrong there not the same as what's on there website. You may what to talk to Herbert one state to the west of you. He has disc brakes on his pinz. He maybe able to get them a little easier than you can. Also may as well drive a EFI pinzguer. You may grow to love the fact you don't have to worry about water. I don't think the aircooled pinz engine over heats as much as the water cooled ones do?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Profpinz wrote:No offence meant, but I think someone is pulling somebodies leg :lol: :D :roll: :wink:

Hi Peter,
I think Magna Steyr has finally gotten peeved by Americans asking for new development for a 40 year old design vehicle... kind of like calling GM and asking for the latest bolt-in V8 engine for a '71 Vega . :lol: :lol:
BTW I ain't turning my Pinz into a heap of scrap ( though some think it already is :roll: )

Anyone believing this "bolt-in" , high HP engine stuff for a Pinz, raise your hand! Now, count the number of fingers on that hand... that's your IQ, IF you raised both hands, deduct the number of fingers on the second hand from the first to get your IQ ( Erik, having a finger shoved somewhere does not qualify as a negative number :wink: :lol: )

Anyone that believe any of that has been smoking or sniffing something. :roll: Especially if they think it would fit in a 710/12 engine bay.
The 716/18 wheelbase and engine compartment were enlarged to accept the VW 2.4l TD engine back in the 80s... so ya think a 5.0l engine is smaller and will fit in a smaller bay? Not to mention the drivetrain is on the other side of the central tube ..... and ALL this without welding?......

If SDP hadn't designed and manufactured something by the end of the manufacture of the 710/12... why would they design it today?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Not to mention the drivetrain is on the other side of the central tube ..... and ALL this without welding?......
Was watching the Red Green show on PBS the other day (trying to get used to Government run TV) :lol: He can do wonders with duct tape. Maybe that's what there doing. :)