Wider Tires? Getting rid of the camber problem?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
djb_rh

Wider Tires? Getting rid of the camber problem?

Post by djb_rh »

So, what's the widest tire we can reasonably run on a 710? Both with stock wheels and with some kind of aftermarket wheel. I don't mind going with something that sticks out of the truck a little as I probably won't be doing many narrow trails with it, but the thing kind of sucks in the sand right now, which is my primary use venue.

Also, I'm still fairly new to this thing and the forum. I've seen some discussion in passing about people putting ballast in the bed to help with the extra rear camber thanks to the hauling capacity and suspension design. Is there a better way to "fix" that issue for those of us who don't need to maintain the hauling capacity as much? Softer spring set, perhaps? I'd think going with shorter springs would not be the ideal way to fix it. My Pinz will see some road time, so while I'm fine with an MT type tire, I do need to fix the camber thing if I'm gonna do that.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Also, I'm still fairly new to this thing and the forum. I've seen some discussion in passing about people putting ballast in the bed to help with the extra rear camber thanks to the hauling capacity and suspension design. Is there a better way to "fix" that issue for those of us who don't need to maintain the hauling capacity as much? Softer spring set, perhaps? I'd think going with shorter springs would not be the ideal way to fix it. My Pinz will see some road time, so while I'm fine with an MT type tire, I do need to fix the camber thing if I'm gonna do tha
Just remove a set of springs in the rear if you're not planning on caring any heavy loads.
pinzwheeling

Re: Wider Tires? Getting rid of the camber problem?

Post by pinzwheeling »

djb_rh wrote:So, what's the widest tire we can reasonably run on a 710? Both with stock wheels and with some kind of aftermarket wheel. I don't mind going with something that sticks out of the truck a little as I probably won't be doing many narrow trails with it, but the thing kind of sucks in the sand right now, which is my primary use venue.

Also, I'm still fairly new to this thing and the forum. I've seen some discussion in passing about people putting ballast in the bed to help with the extra rear camber thanks to the hauling capacity and suspension design. Is there a better way to "fix" that issue for those of us who don't need to maintain the hauling capacity as much? Softer spring set, perhaps? I'd think going with shorter springs would not be the ideal way to fix it. My Pinz will see some road time, so while I'm fine with an MT type tire, I do need to fix the camber thing if I'm gonna do that.

--Donnie
Part of the reason that these trucks work as well as they do is the funky camber design that also grabs the sides of ruts as well as the top. Unless you plan on putting HUGE miles on the truck, a set of mud terrains should last you a number of years, especially if you flip the tires on the rims every few thousand miles. Just my $.02
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Not sure I've ever seen a rut in sand? :lol: But I'll know, I will have the right vehicle for it. :P Around here they call the sand Dirty thirty sand as it was blown in in the thirties. Very Fine sand dust like. Way before my time. :D
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

if you do allot of sand driving you should get those metal tracks to put under the tires when you get stuck i dont know what they call them? :?
710M 1972
710k 1974
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Those ramps are for recovery when you get stuck in sand. My goal is to not get stuck in the first place! :)

All I know is a similar weight Jeep except with much larger tires (still aired up) seems to go a lot better in the exact same conditions. We were having to work a LOT harder in the Pinz the first time out to keep the momentum up to make it through some of the softer sections. That said, I'm sure airing down would have likely helped a LOT.

Hmm, just got back from playing in the Pinz while I was mid-post. Aired down to 25psi and that helped a LOT. It's got SuperSwampers on it, though, and even at 25psi the sidewalls didn't flex at all just sitting on level ground. So I should be able to take it down a good bit further. At least 20psi, probably 15, I guess.

It's still not nearly as good as the Jeep, but it wasn't bad. Before it was bad.

--Donnie
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Erik712m wrote:Just remove a set of springs in the rear if you're not planning on caring any heavy loads.
Please don't think I'm being a pain when I ask this, but I have to ask. Is this tested advice? Has anyone done this with no problem? I thought about it, but it seemed like halving the spring rate might be a bit too far to go. I'm not arguing, though, just curious if you know of someone who has done this.

Anyone had any problems with the GT wheels? Anyone know what they cost? They don't seem to have any pricing on their website...

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Yes look at alans piz in the trails section of the forum. ( florida rally.
djb_rh wrote:
Erik712m wrote:Just remove a set of springs in the rear if you're not planning on caring any heavy loads.
Please don't think I'm being a pain when I ask this, but I have to ask. Is this tested advice? Has anyone done this with no problem? I thought about it, but it seemed like halving the spring rate might be a bit too far to go. I'm not arguing, though, just curious if you know of someone who has done this.

Anyone had any problems with the GT wheels? Anyone know what they cost? They don't seem to have any pricing on their website...

--Donnie
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Oh, and FWIW, I've got 34x10.50-16 SuperSwampers on stock rims now. If I removed a set of rear springs, could I go to 35x12.50's on there? Without big time rubbing while playing off road? Yeah, I know I'd need wider wheels...that's where the GT's come in. And yeah, we're still talking about not having more than 500 pounds of gear in there at a time, if that.

I would still want to go ON road with a full load of people, however. So figure ten people at 200 pounds average (max) is 2000 total pounds.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

By the way I have 33" ¤ 12.50" tires work great in the back rub a little in the front.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Erik712m wrote:Yes look at alans piz in the trails section of the forum. ( florida rally.
Got a link? I can't find anything that works. I found a link that was supposed to go to 2008 pics of the Florida Rally, but it didn't work.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... sc&start=0

The two green 710's are only running two springs. in the rear.

could I go to 35x12.50's on there
NO!! you really should read through the forum.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Thanks for the links. And I know I should read the forums, but it's hard to search for tire width and get much useful since there are so many tire threads about all manner of things.

I don't want to lose any top speed on the road, so I probably want to stay with a tire close to the 34" that I have. So that said, what's the widest thing out there in an MT type tire that's close to that diameter and will fit without major rub? I don't mind a little rub near lock in the front.

--Donnie
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Trxus I beleive does 34" + 12.50"+ 16 tire. Would think for sand you'd want more of a AT tire so it wouldn't dig in the sand.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Erik712m wrote:Trxus I beleive does 34" + 12.50"+ 16 tire. Would think for sand you'd want more of a AT tire so it wouldn't dig in the sand.
Yes indeed they do! And yeah, an AT might be better for pure sand, but I do some other stuff, too, and an MT is still the best all around tire for what I want in my Pinz. Looks like the Trxus is the way to go. Just need to find the right wheel now.

--Donnie