Squishy brakes and I see break fluid dripping

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
audiocontr
United States of America

Squishy brakes and I see break fluid dripping

Post by audiocontr »

Brake fluid is leaking out of the drivers side joint. forgive me for not knowing the term, but it's leaking out of the shiny part of the wheel hub. Any clue what's needed? Do I need to completely repack this thing with grease now?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If the knuckle seal is leaking, it is gear oil. To find brake fluid leaks, follow the brake lines and look for wetness, also pull drums to look for wheel seal or wheel cylinder leaks.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thanks Jim, you were correct. It was the knuckle seal. I will drain and replace the fluid in it this evening.

Adjusting the brakes fixed the squishy brake issue. I noticed the rear shoes had the spring on the outer holes of the adjuster side, and the inner holes of the opposite side. This is equal on driver and passenger. The spring leaned against the adjuster nut and i was unable to turn it. Is this normal?? Should i move the springs to the inner hole on both ends of the shoe?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That is by design to keep the adjusters from backing down. It just keeps pressure on the adjuster wheel. If the adjusters are stuck, remove, clean and lube them with anti sieze.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."