Bead locks...again

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
stevo

Bead locks...again

Post by stevo »

I was bumping around the net today at lunch and I came across an article on Pirate4x4.com about something called the Rockstomper beadlock. The article is in their tech section for 2002. Also went to Rockstomper.com, looks like an interesting way to go especially since it apparently can increase the rim width. Anybody heard of it?
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

That looks like a conventional mechanical beadlock. One problem is that that style beadlock only locks the outer bead, which is adequate most of the time, but not all of the time.

Here is one big difference, on the page:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/wheels/beadlocks.htm
We recommend that beadlock wheels not be inflated above 20psi
The Staun beadlocks allow for about 50 PSI or so. I do enough on-road driving that I would not want to be limited to 20 PSI.

-Evan
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Another alternative, double beadlocks:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... mmer_Rims/

I had these made for my 712, and they are bulletproof. I went this route due to some rock damage to my stock wheels in Moab, and due to being able to air down really low.

Advantages: 8.25" wide (wider than stock but not outrageously so) made to my specs, custom outside rock rings (no chance of outside rim damage, two piece wheels (can repair if needed in the field), and ability to air down to an amazing 5 lbs without losing a bead. Also, surplus Hummer wheels and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Disadvantages: heavier than stock(price for indestructability), limited selection of 16.5" tires (plenty of WIDE tires, but limited that will fit the Pinze front), and necessity of switching out stock wheel lugs for longer ones.

I dont have access to pix this moment, but can share a few if anyone is interested. Dean, the wheelmaker is fantastic to work with.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

michaelh712 wrote:Another alternative, double beadlocks:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... mmer_Rims/

I had these made for my 712, and they are bulletproof. I went this route due to some rock damage to my stock wheels in Moab, and due to being able to air down really low.

Advantages: 8.25" wide (wider than stock but not outrageously so) made to my specs, custom outside rock rings (no chance of outside rim damage, two piece wheels (can repair if needed in the field), and ability to air down to an amazing 5 lbs without losing a bead. Also, surplus Hummer wheels and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Disadvantages: heavier than stock(price for indestructability), limited selection of 16.5" tires (plenty of WIDE tires, but limited that will fit the Pinze front), and necessity of switching out stock wheel lugs for longer ones.

I dont have access to pix this moment, but can share a few if anyone is interested. Dean, the wheelmaker is fantastic to work with.
Michael, Yes please would you share pic's? and were you had the adapters made.
ka

Post by ka »

michael, you mean pix like these? if these are too big for anyone please let me know.

1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
ABSOLUTSECURITY

NICE

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Nice rims Buck!

Where did those come from???

G
ka

Post by ka »

hahahaha! no no - i took those pix of michael's 712m. those are the hmmwv wheels and tars he's talking about above.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Eric,
no "adaptors." Dean cuts out the original hummer center piece, the flat part that mates with the drum. He then welds in a new mounting surface (heavier spec, with or without cutoutrs), and to your order backspacing. Wheels mount like original, without any additional adaptors, etc.\ I ordered original backspacing.

Plate that mounts to drum is therefore thicker (stronger), therefore the need for longer studs.

Only Other disadvantage I've experienced: slower drag race speeds from 0-60 (like, who cares), and possible increased need to change hub seals more often.

Life is full of trades
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

With the center piece not contacting the strong part of the brake drum are you not worried about breaking the drum? Ka, your pic's are a little big they take all of my screen I can't see the rim without moving the screen back and forth.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

You need a biger screen! LOL!

They fit mine perfect! :lol:

G
ka

Post by ka »

doesn't everyone have a 56" screen here?

i'll go resize those after work. wait, i hafta suck the sludge outa my lockers... and find an unattached baster 1st.
1973 710m