80% on road, 20% off road, which tires to choose?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Chiming in late here...

I've been running Yokohama Geolanders since I bought my truck - 7 yrs. now. They've been good tires on road, where most of my driving has (unfortunately) been done. I don't know the exact mileage, perhaps 10K, and they've still got some life left in 'em.

BUT, I know that I've been in some off-road places where I was stopped by the tread, as it's not overly aggresssive. They're not the best off-road tires.

I've already bought new Interco TSL SSRs which are awaiting installation soon. With the miles I put on each year (probably less than 1000), I'm more interested in off-road traction than tread-life.

IMHO, on purpose built vehicles, tread life takes second place to performance. My other vehicle is an old Pantera. It runs Michelin Pilot SX or some such tires. I feel really lucky if they even see 3000 miles, and you don't even want to know what THEY cost. :roll:
KINSPINZ

Post by KINSPINZ »

Just put on the new BFG KM2's. I have only had them on for a short period of time. I can only give you what i know so far.

They are much quiter on road than my old BFG's and seem to handle a bit better. Off road they have worked well in the mudd, ok in the snow and great in the sand. I have noticed the sidewalls do not flex as much as the old ones which is good in some ways. I am thinking i will not be blowing beads as much at 20psi as I use too.

As far as how long they are going to last? Who knows, I changed my old BFG's which had 25% tread left mainly becasue i didnt like running 5+ year old tires with alot of sun damage. I imagine these will make it to 5 years with mainly off roading and too and from trail travel just fine.

I cant wait for Moab!!!! 8)
ITS NOT A F*&$%*# HUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!
man on the mule

tires

Post by man on the mule »

hummmm..... i was gonna keep my yap shut, oh well , one more thing im not good at. i average about 35 k per year on my vehicles. i split the miles between an old 1963 f100, a 1994 dodge diesel, and the 710. my house is where a lot of people come to play maucho with thier bad 4 x 4s. ive got 8 miles of county "maintained" dirt road and 1 mile of "if it gets too rough or you get stuck its time to break out the backhoe". if i gave you a bucket and a shovel and an hour, i bet most people could not fill it with just dirt. too many rocks. the border patrol (at least some) have been using the bfg mt km2 for awhile. i almost wore out a set of trexus 285 75 16 last year on the 710 but when one of them got what the tire guy called "a 6" spear point" in the tread i conned him into warranting it for a new 255 85 16 km2 and bought 4 more to make the pinz happy. ive had the same tire on my dodge for about 16k and have 1/2 to 2/3 left so decided to try on the pinz. the pinz likes not having to hit every rock in the road (tall narrow vs wide like the trexus) seems to grab as good or better. tires are not something i like to scrimp on cause when they go out here im usually in an awkward place by myself. over the 20 years that ive lived here ive come to the conclusion that tires are like most girls. it depends on how you treat them and where you take them how long they stick around. also...not everyone likes the same type (tires or girls )
man on the mule. keep it real.
Erik712m

Re: tires

Post by Erik712m »

man on the mule wrote:hummmm..... i was gonna keep my yap shut, oh well , one more thing im not good at. i average about 35 k per year on my vehicles. i split the miles between an old 1963 f100, a 1994 dodge diesel, and the 710. my house is where a lot of people come to play maucho with thier bad 4 x 4s. ive got 8 miles of county "maintained" dirt road and 1 mile of "if it gets too rough or you get stuck its time to break out the backhoe". if i gave you a bucket and a shovel and an hour, i bet most people could not fill it with just dirt. too many rocks. the border patrol (at least some) have been using the bfg mt km2 for awhile. i almost wore out a set of trexus 285 75 16 last year on the 710 but when one of them got what the tire guy called "a 6" spear point" in the tread i conned him into warranting it for a new 255 85 16 km2 and bought 4 more to make the pinz happy. ive had the same tire on my dodge for about 16k and have 1/2 to 2/3 left so decided to try on the pinz. the pinz likes not having to hit every rock in the road (tall narrow vs wide like the trexus) seems to grab as good or better. tires are not something i like to scrimp on cause when they go out here im usually in an awkward place by myself. over the 20 years that ive lived here ive come to the conclusion that tires are like most girls. it depends on how you treat them and where you take them how long they stick around. also...not everyone likes the same type (tires or girls )

I'm a little confused you like the trexus tires or not? And a 6" spear point as stone spear point?

Only reason I ask is I have been told slip and slide on clay go with tsl just doing off road were the there are just sharp rock Trexus work fine.
man on the mule

tires

Post by man on the mule »

i think the trexus is a fine tire. the 6" spear point was a freek rock formation that would have got anything ive ever seen. it was really a 6" long by less than 1" diameter sharp pointed rock that when it went into the tire ,it broke off flush with the tread and held air till the next day when i went to work. i saw a "small " rock stuck in the tread and saw that the tire was a little low on air. i was really close to the discount tire place i usually deal at so went to them and.....like i said about tires and girls ,no one tire/girl is suited for everyone. i dont know about clay/bad mud as there isnt much of that around where i usually go.the trexus did fine in the snow last winter. the size can have as much bearing on success as anything. wide is great in my experiance for soft like sugar sand on the mexican beaches, but wide sure makes it hard to go between rocks on a trail carved in mountains by a quad. ive never found anything in my life that does everything great. trexus served me well . i got 11k and they had life left.i think i could get more miles if i kept the pressure higher, but if i did, the ride on the 18 plus miles of dirt every day would beat the trucks and me to death .unlike with my wife and other girls, i am free to try all kinds of tires and by the time i wear out a set its kind of fun to try a different kind.so far im really liking the bfg mt km2. good performance so far.between the 2 trucks(dodge 3/4 ton diesel towing etc. and the pinz ive putabout 16k on them and no complaints so far.
man on the mule. keep it real.
Thomas-E

tires

Post by Thomas-E »

I have BFG MT 255/85 R16 KM tires and use them about 80 percent on road and 20 off. They work fine for me on highway and snow here in the Sierra Range. I drive some distances to get to SoCal so highway use is important to me. When I was at the Calico mogfest last year they worked fine on rocky drainages and in sand (20 psi). I haven't really done any serious mud but when I need traction the Lockers the Lockers do the job.

My primary uses are heavy hauling and camping in remote areas, they seem to be just right for me.

My only complaint is the amount of balance weights needed, I don't know if it is the rims or tires, so I've starting using the ceramic beads for balancing and they work great. :D
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

I use Dyna beads for balancing media and I wouldnt go any other way - just make sure your stems are at the top when airing down!!!! NO MORE LEAD WEIGHT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!

G
todds112

Post by todds112 »

ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:I use Dyna beads for balancing media and I wouldnt go any other way - just make sure your stems are at the top when airing down!!!! NO MORE LEAD WEIGHT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!

G
I'm going this route too when I get new tires. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

My last Jeep had GY MTR's. They were a nightmare to keep balanced.
1973 712M
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Nice thing about the balance media is that it is constatly readjusted and makes up for differences that take place on a daily basis - unlike lead weights. If you loose a chunck of rubber upon rotation the beads will go where they need to make the automatic adjustment! Couldnt get any more simple.

Glynn
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:Nice thing about the balance media is that it is constatly readjusted and makes up for differences that take place on a daily basis - unlike lead weights. If you loose a chunck of rubber upon rotation the beads will go where they need to make the automatic adjustment! Couldnt get any more simple.

Glynn
True.. but I have several friends who are now removing these. When airing up and down you have little control over the air quality going nto the tyre... so if there is a high moisture content (or worse, a hjigh oil content, from a crappy compressor) when you air up, the beads will have a tendency to settle and clump, rather than re-adjust like they're meant to. This situation is exacerbated on vehicles used infrequently.

Worth a thought before you commit... :?
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
ABSOLUTSECURITY

psychoman wrote:
ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:Nice thing about the balance media is that it is constatly readjusted and makes up for differences that take place on a daily basis - unlike lead weights. If you loose a chunck of rubber upon rotation the beads will go where they need to make the automatic adjustment! Couldnt get any more simple.

Glynn
True.. but I have several friends who are now removing these. When airing up and down you have little control over the air quality going nto the tyre... so if there is a high moisture content (or worse, a hjigh oil content, from a crappy compressor) when you air up, the beads will have a tendency to settle and clump, rather than re-adjust like they're meant to. This situation is exacerbated on vehicles used infrequently.

Worth a thought before you commit... :?
I havent had that problem - but then again I am in California and the air is really dry here - hmmm. I would figure out a way to control my air quality if I were them just to keep the outstanding benifits associated with the Dyna Beads!!!!!!!!!!! Their loss!!!!!!!!!

Glynn
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:I'm running INTERCO TRXUS M/T's and love them
I use these with balancing beads. Tires and beads work well for me both on and off road.
Kimball
1979 712M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's my tire 285/75/16

ABSOLUTSECURITY

pinzinator wrote:Here's my tire 285/75/16

WHITE LETTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TURN THOSE THINGS AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

G
ka

Post by ka »

so charlie cant see'm?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential