Widest tires available for use on 710?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
OhioPinz

Widest tires available for use on 710?

Post by OhioPinz »

Anyone know the widest tire you can fit on a stock Pinz rim for use in mud?
Recommendations?
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

9x34-16 bias swampers (Prof pinz's discovery) on factory rims work very well in mud, and only in super extreme articulation with one rear spring out do I see any rubbing.

There are other issues that start to factor in as you go wider. You'll need different rims, proper offset, etc. The wider stance means longer lever arm on the suspension, so camber changes, etc.

Usually the folks wanting super wide are sand drivers looking for flotation.

I don't see the pinz as a candidate for super wide mud tires due to a combination of relatively low HP, and the inherent suspension setup. Nor is it really needed for most situations.

It's only after switching to EFI did the extra torque make spinning the tires to clear mud even viable when locked up. And even then only if you keep some forward inertia. Otherwise you just dig your hole faster if it's bottomless.

Before I went to the trouble to go wide I'd add bead locks to something like the swampers. I routinely run 15-20psi even without them

Have fun,

Alan
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have seen many use 285/75R16s on stock rims (myself included, but I can say steering is more difficult) as well as 305/70R16s (which I imagine to be even more difficult to steer). Choose your poison and let us know how it works.

Jim M.