Rear Upper Spring Cups

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
critter
United States of America

Rear Upper Spring Cups

Post by critter »

This has been asked before, but I did not see an answer to the question.
The rear upper spring cups are exactly that a cup that holds water. Which is probably why mine have rusted and thus disintigrated. This is a very costly part to replace.

Has anyone ever drilled a hole in the cup to allow excess water to escape??

Would appreciate your opinion Jim.

Bob
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I wouldn't. As I believe it would allow water and mud in through the drilled hole. It is difficult to clean any way adding a separate water, mud entry area will only increase the wear of the ( Upper) lower cup. I finally broke down and had mine two coat powder coated.
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Eric,

You are probably right. Difficult area anyway to maintain. After removing the springs I found that the lower cups were also compromised. Need to replace them also. Well, what can you expect after 35 years.

Bob
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Are you the guy with the two Pinz that were for sale on ebay last week? One that hit a tree, the other with the bad cups?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Bob

I recently joined an off road club here. As I'm hoping to learn more about wrenching than I know now. I noticed My local mechanic put his shop up for sell.So far after my second outing with them. One of the other members showed up with one of those cash for clunkers 710m found on craigslist. His first outing with it he didn't do any thing I mean any thing. Check the fluids nothing. Needless to say I've been busy educating him on the basics.

We haven't made to the spring cups yet but it will come. At that point I was planning on asking Alan or Herbert why they removed one of the rear springs on the rear and what they thought the draw backs were? Maybe Alan we'll go head and comment now?

Of course maybe we can have one of those civil conversations on the pros and cons. Image
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:Maybe Alan we'll go head and comment now?
Sorry, All commented out! :D
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Ah, you know I can't resist. Was hoping for a reaction. :)

OK, the famous spring question, covered repeatedly in the old forum and yahoo group. If you ask about v-8 or Dana 60 conversions next you'll go in the penalty box!

Some folks worry about the camber and want the tires to sit level unloaded.

I was more concerned about getting a bit better articulation. I'm not a huge believer in rock buggy level articulation since they are not really streetable. Plus with lockers front and rear it's less of an issue.

But I did notice how the pinz felt a bit more stable loaded, less likely to feel tippy when three wheeling. More than just weight in the back.

Rather than cut a dead link off, I decided to try one pair. It works great, sit's level unloaded, though it tends to squat a bit under acceleration. Keeps the rubber on the ground more often in severe terrain, etc.

I believe it also helps in some sand & mud as you are less likely to break the surface when the tire is more flat.

But if I load up with 3-4 people in the back it's a bit much.

I really think air-bags are the best approach, and have a workable scheme penciled out. May try it some day.

Until then, I'll probably go back to two springs, but with the dead links cut off. Or maybe just do one first to try to get an overload effect. Plan to blast & powder coat them first.

I'm carrying more loads now and have learned how to handle 3 wheel tipping more confidently. (John Geesen had it right, hit the gas if you start to get light in the rear)

BTW, there was a nice air bag prototype for 710's posted a while back. Never came to market.

Herbert has a different solution involving lead, which is another approach. Others use sandbags, paver tiles, etc. Also good for slowing down the pinz when you can't handle the bursts of power! :)

Here's a shot showing freshly mounted swampers with just one spring. They sat even flatter once we moved the vehicle, was a bit over compressed when we dropped the lift:

http://www.pinztrek.com/pinz/pinz_tire6.jpg

Have fun,

Alan
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I have replaced several spring cups over the years on my Pinzies. I hate working with spring compressors but it's not that difficult to do yourself. The funny thing about blowing an upper rear spring cup is that the spring will stay in place but extend up until it contacts and jams against the body. It just acts just like a weak spring! If you blow a lower front spring cup... you are screwed! The spring could easily rocket out from under the truck and kill somebody standing nearby!
OK everybody, now go check your spring cups!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

***The spring could easily rocket out from under the truck and kill somebody standing nearby! ***

712's don't have'm, but maybe wearing a cup of another nature around the 710's is in order! :lol:

Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Twin Pinzies wrote: If you blow a lower front spring cup... you are screwed! The spring could easily rocket out from under the truck and kill somebody standing nearby!
You too are in this category with a 712!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Note to self,read ALL the words..... :oops:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy