installing brake controller

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
eoneal1369

installing brake controller

Post by eoneal1369 »

Has anyone installed a trailer brake controller in their pinz? I have kicked around a few ideas some have not worked. Tried to power the controller off of 24v to 12v converter. 20amp converter does not seem to have the power needed to engage the brakes. Have read can run off a third battery or off of the rear pinz battery. If I run off one of the pinz batteries will it cause an over charging issue on the other battery? Anyone have any ideas :?: Thanks Eric
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I assume your trailer has 12v brakes...

Could you operate a relay with the output from the brake controller with which could then supply 12v from an extra 3rd battery (which is kept charged by the 12v output from your converter, maybe with an old voltage regulator to keep from overcharging)?

That way, the 3rd battery could get charged up during normal driving. The output of the brake controller would only need to operate a relay.

Forgive me if this is a idiotic idea. I once read about someone with a 6v VW bug which they had wired with two batteries and a DPDT switch so they could operate some 12v appliance with it when they were stationary.

????
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

The relay idea won't work because the result would brakes on or off. The controller varies voltage from 0 vdc to battery voltage (14.2 vdc with engine running). This is like applying the brakes as you stop. You modulate the pressure of your foot and therefore modulate the brakes to control your stop.

The idea of tapping one battery is bad in this instance since the current draw of the brakes is high enough to cause the battery that is tapped to end up under charged. It has been several years since I installed the last controller, but I believe there is a 30 amp fuse and 8 or 10 gauge wire. Interestingly the break away battery is usually a 6 or 8 amp hour battery. One shot stop and hope to keep in straight line with the tongue dragging

When I worked for Dennis we discussed doing one of these mods. Our thought process was a standard size car 12 battery would provide several stops. Old cars had a 45 amp generator recharging the battery. Therefore on the flats a 20 amp converter might keep up with the charging of the battery. Here in Colorado with mountain roads we would have wanted to add (retrofit) an additional small alternator out of a sub compact car. No guarantees since we never moved out of the design phase to the testing phase.

Hope that helps