wheel adapter drawing

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
og

wheel adapter drawing

Post by og »

Does anyone have a drawing of the wheel adapter? I am talking about adapter
needed to replace and balance Pinz tires in the regular tire shop.
OG
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Og,

SDF-Pinzgauer 'used' to have a picture of a adapter, I still have a hard-copy of the picture. I looked at the particular site, but cannot find it anymore.
I did say Whell Balance Adapter = 450 Kb pdf file.

Maybe ask them again, good luck

As a matter of fact; every Pinz owner should have one, when you change tires ?

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
This is a a fairly simple tool to make in a machine shop.

Simply take the dimension of the drive hub arr' with the drum off, then get a machine shop to "translate" cut out a round 5/16---3/8th plate (8 to 10mm) to the same size.
Now punch in 5 off wheel studs say from a Chev Astro van on the same pitch circle diam as the Pinz wheel, then wallow out a hole in the middle for the balancer mandrel. That size I don't have off the top of my head, but I could get it if you need it--I have a balancer plate in the shop. These days it gets more local Pinzgauer club member use than I put it to, but it is a useful tool to have in the tool box!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Can Pinz wheels not be balanced using the standard cone on balancing machines?
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

When I place my goodyear tires at a Gemini shop here in Frisco Texas, they were able to balance the tires without any problems. They used the conic wheel adapter and no problems whatsoever.

Dennis, is there any reason or advantage to use the balancing adapter?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The Pinz's pilot hole is not usually concentric with the lug pattern's holes.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I must have been lucky,3 Pinzes and all center holes were just that,in the center. Well the run-out on these rims had no more run-out than any other steel rim. I'm just say'n it may not be neccessary...
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I know a few that the tires balanced on the machine nicely, but when they had them on the truck, they vibrated... once they rebalanced them with the lug concentric method, they rode fine.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

That is the difference between 'lug centric' (Pinz) and 'hub centric'. I have had no balance problems with my Pinz using the hub centric method, but would use an adapter if it was available. The adapter must be precisely machined or it won't work correctly, I assume.
I have found that you should hand spin the tires while tightening the lug nuts in sequence. This helps the tire assembly settle into a centered position.
edzz
United States of America

Wheel modification time?

Post by edzz »

What about a balancing adapter, to mount the wheels on a lathe, to “re-turn” the center hole? Lathe may need to be somewhat larger than my Unimat SL. Do it once and forget about an adapter in the future. May not be a good option if dealing with “Big City” machine shop hourly rates. :lol:
ED
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
lindenengineering

Guys
The MV practice in the seventies was to mount the wheel, (small wheel, big wheel, truck wheel, bus wheel) on its studs and let the weight AND dynamic forces be taken by those studs & cone nuts which clamped it to the hub.
This actually wasn't a good idea because wheel flex under dynamic loads would make the wheel come loose and in some cases cause detachment.
With that potential looseness would also come the contingent prospective problems of cone wallowing/nut wear/stud fracture etc; especially if the nut wasn't torqued up and checked regularly. (Sound familar?)
Obviously then the wheel had to be made to a spec that had a stud mounting ring on a base circle concentric to the wheel outer circumference. The hole in the middle of the wheel didn't have to comply to the two base circles involved. Obviously the Pinzgauer wheel was made to some tight tolerances since in many cases it can be mounted and balanced without problems.
Now for armies that putz about at 40 mph and make a convoy nuisance of themselves with the civi population, speed and balance of tyres/wheels and drive shafts for that matter is never an issue. Its only when civi folks like yourselves get hold of stuff and want to run at 60 mph! :lol:
From experience I find that the adaptor plate does aid in balancing Pinzgauer wheels which often show some run out.

For interest, by the late 80's there was almost universal adoption of of hub centering and the vehilce weight was located upon a step machined on the hub and has an intimate fit to the wheel. Hence the nuts merely fix the wheel to the hub arrangement.

From a practical operating/combat sense the stud/lug centred wheel is preferable since nut removal allows the wheel to simply drop off the hub. Wheras the hub centred alternative might often have you huffing and puffing to break the rust between the hub and wheel. On big trucks a puller is sometimes necessary. Can you imagine having to do all that while your enemy is taking pot shots at you. :lol:
Dennis
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Gents,

This might not have to do with this, but some time ago I lost 2 wheel-nuts on a 30 mile journey. I used the nuts of the spare wheel to get me home again. I re-tightened all nuts and bought 3 new ones.
Again lost 1 wheel nut on a 30 mile journey. I have now tightened them a little beyond the 200 Nm as instructed by the Manual.

Could this be from vibration of a unbalanced wheel or so ?

Thanks for your replies

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
andy

Post by andy »

Another tangent while we are on the subject. My 710 came with the wheels that Cold War sold. Supposedly those wheels did not need the adaptor to balance the tire. I even called and double checked and was told they didn't need the adapter.

Then last December I had a lug stud break and when I got home and tried to change out the tire the other 4 twisted off. Got it fixed, with Dennis' help, (thanks again Dennis) but now with every slight vibration I pull over and make sure the lug nuts are tight, on all the tires.

It is not a good feeling when you are worried the wheels might come off. Best bet is check them frequently.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
lindenengineering

Well the front drivers side seems to be the worst!

A while back a namesake of mine called Dennis called me from Wyoming to say that he had a strange noise in the truck and since he was coming down to Denver on the Saturday he would bring it by. And so he did in the PM!
It was in the days when I sub letted (rented) a workshop behind Cold War on Hwy 85. John (lightening Pinz) jumped in with me and we went for a thrash down the road--after a few miles I said to John "hey yah know this sounds like a loose wheel waddah you think" ????!!!!! :roll:
THEN in an instant the drivers wheel came off and rocketed skywards!
We went down the road on the drum braking and coming to a stop in a shower of sparks! :lol:
We sat and watched the wheel come down earthwards heading for a brand new Chryler car! Luckily it landed just in front of the hood and "Boing" it took off again skywards clearing a line of following cars landing in a field. Phew!
We scrambled over, picked up the wheel and remounterd it with nuts robbed from each other wheel. All the time a following driver in an old PU was saying WTF the back wheels on that truck came right off the ground--you guys are SO F-----G LUCKY!! :twisted:
With a wry smile we got back to the shop, put some "Krylon repair" on the drum scars tightened up the wheel with new nuts and delivered it back to the owner none the wiser--everyone happy! "
Later that evening over the dinner table, Lynn said how was work? Ah same oh! same oh! was my casual reply, but we did have a front Pinz wheel come off at 60 mph--WHAT!@!! :lol: :twisted:
Dennis
andy

Post by andy »

Mine just happened to be the driver's front too. It is entirely possible that the wheel could have done exactly what you described if it wouldn't have been for my foot hitting the lug nut and it falling off.

I had heard a ticking noise all the way up to that particular ranch, but it sounded farther back.

Any thoughts or ideas why the left front tends to exhibit that little tendency more than the others?
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com