tank tracks for 712 rear

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
totaljoint

tank tracks for 712 rear

Post by totaljoint »

Has anyone given thought to adapting skid steer "over the tire" tracks to the rear pair of tires for a 712 for strictly sand, mud or snow use? Would they work if the diffs were always locked and put up with lateral forces in a turn?
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Never thought of that. Seems like a lot of drivetrain modification but possible in theory. Just go with a 710M and Mattracks. UNSTOPPABLE!!
I have a conversion kit for the Pinzgauer and it is for sale BTW...
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

Twin Pinzies wrote:Never thought of that. Seems like a lot of drivetrain modification but possible in theory. Just go with a 710M and Mattracks. UNSTOPPABLE!!
I have a conversion kit for the Pinzgauer and it is for sale BTW...
I have looked at getting a track set for my 710K. I never could find an idea of price on Mattrax. I thought it may be the knees for ice fishing! :D
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I used to own a Case skid-steer, with a set of those tracks also. There was concern back then about the bearings on the wheels being overstressed. I don't know if this would cause problems on a pinz.

However, on the skid-steer, the distance between wheels never changes, as it does on a 712, say if the middle wheel's way up while the rear wheel's way down. I believe this would cause problems as there was not much slack in the tracks when on the machine. I'd guess it wouldn't word, mostly as a result of this issue

Another problem I see is that the tracks didn't give you much sideways stability -the machine could slide on a side hill.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You would be re-inventing the Half-track :shock: . You would still have a steerable front axle. With the rear suspension, there may be issues with tension on the tracks as the suspension flexes. With this , there would be odd stresses put onto the axles and bearings.
The front tires will still plow into anything that's soft.
Just lower your tire pressures ,and/or use chains.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)