Pulling Under Heavy Braking

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
SAM. C.

Pulling Under Heavy Braking

Post by SAM. C. »

Gents

I have a 1975 710m and it veers to the right under heavy braking. I have adjusted the brakes as per the manual and tyre pressures but it still does it.

It is not too bad under regular braking but when I brake hard it feels like the front drivers side dips more than the passenger side and the truck veers to the right. I have to steer left to compensate for this and while this is happening the passenger side rear wheel starts to lock up.

Any suggestions guys?

Sam
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Is this something it has always done? Or something that occurred suddenly? Possibly an alignment issue?

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

This is probably stupid to ask, but...

Did you inspect the shoes and drums for problems/damage?

Did you clean out any dust and dirt?

You remembered the one front wheel which has reverse threads on the adjusters, and it's set correctly? You remembered to adjust BOTH of the adjusters in each of the front wheel units? (the rears only have one adjuster in each wheel unit.)

(Forgive me for asking simple questions, as I assume you've already done these and that's why you're stumped. No offense intended.)
SAM. C.

Alignment

Post by SAM. C. »

Thanks Guys

When I adjusted the brakes I adjusted one of the front wheels in the opposite direction as per the manual. I will have a look in the drums though as it feels like one of the front brakes is not working properly although they both seemed to behave as I expected when I adjusted them.

I think it may be an alignment issue as it is something it has always done but I am not sure how to fix this other than take it to a tyre centre to get the alignment done. Is this something I can do myself?

Sam
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sam,

I'd suggest to pull each drum and clean things up. Wearing shoes and dirt from the trail can accumulate and cause things to bind up and/or just not work right.

The alignment issue just got covered recently. It is possible to adjust this at home (at least acceptably). If you've got the manuals, it gives the procedure. See this: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =alignment

Or search: alignment
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I had this same thing start happening a few months ago and it turned out to be a leaking seal on the brake piston. Luckily it wasn't too bad and i was able to clean it off with brakleen stuff.
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Alright, we must be drinking from the same bottle. Brakes were working just fine but needed to replace the front pads. I replaced the pads and now it pulls to the right. I have adjusted them 4 times now. It's alittle better. One of cylinders seems to stick. Now I am wondering if I need to rebuild the brake cylinders????????? Any thoughts?

Bob
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

critter wrote:One of cylinders seems to stick. Now I am wondering if I need to rebuild the brake cylinders????????? Any thoughts?

Bob
May want to look at this thread http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... e+cylinder

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.