Shock Absorbers

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Kevin,

The specs on those NAPA shocks are about as close to stock as any shocks I've seen. From my measurements the stock shocks are as follows:

Collapsed 13 1/4
Extended 20 7/8
Travel 7 5/8

I don't think the additional 1/8" travel on the NAPA's will give you any problems but someone else here on the forum may know better.

What kind of price are the NAPA's ?

Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kpoling
United States of America

Napa Shocks

Post by kpoling »

Hi Paul: Their internet price is $42.09 each. I believe their shocks are made by Monroe. I am assuming that we can cross reference them over from the NAPA part number to Monroe or others. I want to be able to paint mine so they look stock. I think they will work OK. Hopefully Dennis can let us know if he has any feedback on this style.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Result ... &Nty=1&N=0

Thanks for your info on the stock dimensions.

Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I finally got around to NAPA, I brought in one of my rear shocks to compare to the NAPA 76991 shock. It does not have any metal sleeves in the rubber mount eyelet. This is OK for the top mount and I can use washers to space the shock mounts correctly. But, the bottom mount will crush the rubber donut when you tighten the lower bolt with a stack of washers to get correct spacing. I also looked at a KYB shock at Car Quest (part # 1924045) and it is the same issue. Do the Rancho or Doetsch shocks have a spacer sleeve in the lower rubber mount?

Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I ordered a pair of the NAPA shocks and after looking at them I decided that besides missing the sleeves, the mounts were nowhere near as beefy as the originals. I returned them and got a full set of the Doetsch shocks from Scott. They are very similar in construction to the originals and do come with the metal sleeves in the bushings. For only $9 more a piece than the NAPA's I think they are well worth it. I painted them black (they come white) with some textured paint.

I just got done mounting them yesterday and they rode really nice on my first test drive.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

shock absorbers

Post by krick3tt »

Paul,

Is this a straight out remove and replace with the same bolts as the originals? I got a set from EI and I didn't want to start in on them until I was sure that I would not need anything else. I was concerned about the sleeves.

I'm going to have to get sockets to fit the nuts as there is nothing in my tools that big.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Morris,

Some of my bolts were not in the best of shape so I replaced them with ones from McMaster or SAV. You really won't know until you remove them if they need replacing. The shocks from EI have the thicker wall sleeves on the bottom end of the shock. The upper end is ok with the thinner wall sleeve. Installing the boots requires patience :)

15/16" or 24mm is the size you'll need. A regular depth socket and a combo open/box wrench. The front lower bolts are partly blocked by the tie rods so using a socket is tough without removing the tie rod. I was able to use the box end of the wrench and a rubber mallet to loosen it.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Hi Paul: What model Doetsch shocks did you order? I looked on EI's site & do not see any shocks listed.

When comparing my OEM shock to the NAPA or KYB, the mounts seemed about the same. I have no way to bore out the rubber eyelets or a source for the bolt sleeves. If I did, then these would work.

Thanks, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Hi Kevin,
The Doetsch shocks are #8132. Scott doesn't have them on his site but usually has them in stock. He is on vacation until 7/12.

What I noticed on the NAPA shocks I got is that the steel mounting ring was thinner and narrower than stock. This may have no affect but I wasn't sure.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kpoling
United States of America

Doetsch shocks

Post by kpoling »

Thanks Paul. I ordered some from Doetsch right after your last email since EI was on holiday. I installed them later in the week. They fit well, I had to file the sleeves on the top of the rear shocks to fit inside the mount. The fronts went on with no trouble. It made a huge difference in the truck handling on the road. The OEM shocks had no compression dampening (not sure if they were like that originally or worn out). They are slightly shorter at full extension than the OEM's so I hope the limit strap engages before the shock :shock: . I will report back after Mogfest if there are any issues.
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
krick3tt

shock absorbers

Post by krick3tt »

Paul,

Thanks for your advice, I had a friend help me R/R the shocks. Actually he did most of the work as the air tool were his and it went very well. The boots did require some patience but all went well.
There is a difference in the ride, haven't taken it out for an extended run but I'm pleased so far. All the bolts were good.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Morris,

I'm glad to hear everything went well. Nice that you didn't have to replace the bolts as they are a bit pricey.

Hope you like the ride as much as I do.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

My shocks seemed to work well at Mogfest NW. It was the first time I had really had my truck off road. I did not do any fast driving off road, just the slower technical stuff in the easy parts of the pits and hill climbs. Nothing like some of the people there though. I think I need a new steering damper now though. :roll:
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016