Shock Absorbers

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
kpoling
United States of America

Shock Absorbers

Post by kpoling »

One of my front shocks is leaking oil. Since the truck is over 36 years old, I guess some new ones are in order.

I searched the old tech forum and the only real discussion found was about Doetsch units. Looking on EI's site they do not list them anymore.

SAV Lists some Rancho shocks for $78ea along with OEM shocks for $232ea. Comments from the old forum are they be too well dampened and may break shock bolts.

On the SDP site under the parts reference page, some NAPA #76991 shocks are listed. They are supposed to be for a 1963-77 Chevy C10 & C20 pick up trucks.

Since I do not plan on any high speed off road runs, the NAPA units are looking good. Anyone tried the NAPA shocks? Any install issues?
pcolette
United States of America

Shocks

Post by pcolette »

I think Scott at EI still carries the less expensive Doetsch shocks. About $60 if I recall. I have them on a 710 and they perform very well.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I ran the NAPAs for a while on my 712 and broke a few shock bolts.

I've switched to the non-adjustable Ranchos and have had no further issues. HOWEVER, at about the same time as I switched shocks I also through-drilled my back axles in order to use a through-bolt instead of one screwed into threads in the axles, as per the later versions.

I'm happy w/ the Ranchos, but I'm not sure which action eliminated the broken bolts.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I run the Rancho 9000's and broke a fair share of shock bolts. Since I have done the through bolt modification I have not broken a single bolt. I have currently a 9000 leaking, front shock, and need to get a replacement for it on my 712.
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Thanks for the feedback!

I will call EI to see if they still carry the Doetsch shocks.

Undy: Is it the rear shocks that break the bolts or fronts also? Did you run the NAPA's listed on the parts ref page? Were there any install issues? The NAPA shocks will look more stock than the Rancho's (with a coat of OD paint).

Regards, Kevin
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Kevin,

It was only rears that I broke.

I don't recall the part #, but I remember I got it from Dennis @ Linden. I'd be pretty certain there's only one cross.

I believe those bolted right on, although I used a few washers to space the shock off from the mounts. The extended and compressed lengths were adequate.

The stock ones have some offset inner bushing, IIRC. But even the Ranchos I had to screw around with inner bushings.

I did like the ride with the NAPAs. I thought they rode just a bit better than the Ranchos on-road.
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Thanks Undy!

I think I will try the NAPA's. They will look "more stock" than the others with the rubber boots after some camo paint :)

Kevin
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Kevin,

I've still got one of those around, if I'm not mistaken. I had 6, gave 4 away, and IIRC 1 was bad. If you're interested in the last one, let me know and I'll dig it out.

Paul
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Hi Paul, I forgot about your response. Thanks for the offer. I am going to buy some from NAPA or similar units. It will be a "spring" project.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

No worries.

Oh, BTW, aren't all shock or suspension jobs considered "spring" jobs? :lol:

Arrrr...

Sorry, I've been going at the DOT here again, and sick jokes are what happens after I beat my head against a wall for too long.

PU
krick3tt

new shocks

Post by krick3tt »

I just received my Doetsch Tech shocks from Scott.

Now...before I tear into this project is there anything hinky about this that I should know. I have replaced shocks on a vehicle before and it was just R & R, even my minor wrenching skills could manage that.

I have been reading about broken bolts and such, am I in for such trouble down the road...I do not do rock crawling much. Those from a few years ago at Calico can attest to that.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Skeej

I lust for these...

Post by Skeej »

pinzwheeling

Re: new shocks

Post by pinzwheeling »

krick3tt wrote:I do not do rock crawling much. Those from a few years ago at Calico can attest to that.

Morris
You crawled up and down the rocks just fine a bunch of times... oh, you meant in the Pinz?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Guys
For the record I don't recommend the Napa Sensatracs--from experience--- their residual resistance strains the lower fixing bolt (s) and causes fracture due to reversalls.
Even on the through bolt mod version I have seen them bent the 16mm section bolt--that's a lot of force!

Yes Ranchos seem to work and the 9000 versions rate the best and are just about on their limit on extension. Just make sure the internal eye bush is pressed on sufficiently to correct shock body kiss against the road spring on the front application.

Sorry I have no experience with the Doetsch shocks! No customers have them yet!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
kpoling
United States of America

NAPA Shocks

Post by kpoling »

Hi Dennis: The NAPA shocks I found are called "Gas Grande" (part #: NS 76991).
Link:

http://catalog2.genpt.com/catviewer15/% ... wPics=1#bg

Says they are for work trucks.

Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016