maximal tire sizes

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

maximal tire sizes

Post by yaknowthatguy »

Hello all -

First, my apologies - I work out of state, so can't go out and just look at my 710..... hence the reason for my post (not just laziness!). I wont be home for another ten days, so I'm doing some planning before I get there.

I need to put tires on, and am looking at options. If anyone could post the maximum tire size for a 710, I'd be thrilled (went through the archives but didn't have much luck). If anyone has recommendations on good tires, I'll take them too. All 5 of mine were in rough shape when I got the truck, so with summer wheeling season coming, time to get them swapped out! I do a reasonable amount of tooling around town, so something that's both street and offroad friendly would be ideal.

many thanks!
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

with the stock wheels, the largest tires i know of that fit are 34/10.50 - 16lt in the form of super swampers ltb tire (a continuation of their tsl design). its what i run. ive heard people say that these would rub but they certainly do not on mine.

i chose these because they are excellent off road, look awesome and are relatively cheap. i dont care how they do anywhere else, even though most of my pinz mileage is actually on road. if you want safety, technology and longevity you should consider a radial design; maybe an all terrain that compromises some traction for longevity?

if you want traction off road, these tires might work for you. on road, not so much because the tread is very aggressive and its a bias ply tire vs a radial. that is to say: they thump thump thump for a few blocks on cold mornings, they want to follow every line/bump in the road, they dont wear well on asphalt (maybe 5000 - 6000 miles out of my fronts, double or triple that on the backs - "hello, my name is chris, and i drive too aggressive on pavement") and they are about as loud as any 34" tire out there going down the road...and i love them. i will probably never run any other tire on my pinz.
Chris
'73 710m
krick3tt

tires

Post by krick3tt »

I have had BFG MT's (255 85R 16, 33'') on the pinz since I got it from Scott. I have at least 50,000km on these and they are now down to 50%.
I have a new tire that I keep as a spare under the trailer and the tread depth is 3/4'', that is my gage for depth. The ones on the pinz measure 3/8'' depth, hence the 50% tire.

Most of my milage is on road with trips from San Diego to Seattle to Denver. These trips have been taken at lease 4 times, maybe 5 and I have had no adverse road problems from the tires.
When it comes time to replace them I will again choose the MT's. They have been good to me and seem to last quite awhile for what they do. Not overly noisy, can't hear them over the engine.

I also run balancing beads and have tubes in the tires, as I was losing air from a few rim dings from fights with rocks. Don't lose air with the tubes.

Morris,
M710, M416 trailer
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford