Replacing rubber brake line hoses

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
blackstack
United States of America

Replacing rubber brake line hoses

Post by blackstack »

I am trying to replace my rubber hoses. I can't get ANY of the connections loose. (i actually snapped one ear off a craftsman flare nut tool) I have applied liquid wrench and other similar products in an amount approaching the BP spill to no avail. I suspect the last guy used some sort of loctite......any suggestions? Would I be risking catastrophy applying heat?......I tried go up line from the wheel to the splitter junction thinking I could take that whole length of line out and use a vice to assist but even that connection wont break.

could take that much of the line out and then be able to use a vise but even that connection wont break.
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

What always worked for me was to apply some wd40, to heat
the connection up slightly then apply some more wd40.
Afterwards let it cool down and do it all over again three or
four times.
The temperature of the connector should reach 100 deg C but
not more.

If there really is some Loctite on you will have to heat it up more.
I believe that normal Loctite thread locking compound degenerates
at about 250 degrees C.
If you already decided to change the brake hoses this could be
an option.

Richard
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

thanks for your input...I did pretty much as you suggested . I think I could have been a little more aggressive with the heat and it would have cut down the number of repititions I cut the hose on one so I could get a socket on the female side and it still took all the ooomph I could muster.

One more to do..a friend suggested that I heat the fitting and then put beeswax on it ..he says the beeswax melts and filters in between the male and female

Thanks for your input
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Apply a drop of Liquid Wrench on the fitting every day for a week, that should help. Loctite should not be used on brake fittings. A vise grips is the best tool, just be careful not to damage the fitting.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finished ..a couple of connections just would not come apart. On one the male fittng is frozen in the female and on the other the female fitting is frozen to the metal brake line. On those two I cut them out and ran new metal line.

I am going to use anti seize at the connections...I really cant understand why they are so frozen
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Use only brake fluid on the threads, as you don't want any other foreign matter in the braking system.