Hercules Iron Man Tires....anybody?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
muttandjeeps

Hercules Iron Man Tires....anybody?

Post by muttandjeeps »

Looking for tires for the "new" 710m. A local shop has Hercules "Iron man" 265/75/16 10 ply ,load E. Price is $129 each installed. Any experiance out there with these tires?
Thanks
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Just pulled up a pic of this tire, and if you are going to use your Pinz for street driving it will get the job done, but if like most Pinz owners you are going off road you are going to pay twice that amount at least for each tire. Too Bad...imagine if we could get a good offroad tire for 129 installed....Id get 2 sets!!!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I still love my retreads. Would try them next time without the walnut shells though. Curious on wear differences.
muttandjeeps

Post by muttandjeeps »

Toyo open country AT's any better?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I don't see anything wrong with them if you are primarily on the road.
I just started to look for a set of 265/75s for the Pink Cow, and found Cooper ST listed at Sears ( of all places :shock: ) for $150.
Cooper make excellent tires, and many people are riding on them and don't know it..... they manufacture many private label tires.

You'll hear good and bad for all tires. Find something you like and can afford :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Wellllllll, since my last post (all of 2 hours ago :wink: ), my tire shop called me back on a set of Federal mud terrain in 265/75-16 for $677 mounted and graft included ( tax)..... and because I'm such a loveable sort :roll: , they're picking up the rims and delivering back ...... it could be they don't want my ugly face near their shop :lol:

I've had Federals before and I don't remember anything on them ( which is good .... because people always remember the bad).
but here is a link to a review
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Ti ... gia-MT.htm

And btw, the Coopers were going to cost me $812.... which if I drove the truck more, I would have gone for them.... my point of going to smaller tires ( from Michelin 8.25-16 XZL) is to see the "windtunnel" affect of the tires working against the engine at a given speed. Plus making it easier to drag my a$$ up into the truck :lol:

Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

David the federals look good..pretty decent tread pattern and a great bang for the buck..the fella that started this thread should follow your lead and get those instead of the hercules street tires..just a little more money well spent
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
buzzz

Post by buzzz »

David I have had that federal tire on my 710m for over a year which I drive every day and they have more than half the tread left. I think you will be very happy with them.

Buzz
muttandjeeps

Post by muttandjeeps »

Thanks for the input guys. I am picking up a new set of Toyo Open Country AT's 265/75/16 tonight. They seem to be a good balance of on road manners with decent off road capabilities, we'll see......
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

M&J,
The Toyos should be a nice AT tire. Be forewarn, if you run an empty truck, you need to rotate the tires on the rims for an even tire wear ( should be common knowledge to anyone with a Pinz :wink: )

Buzz, These will probably outlast me, and with the Pink Cow, it will be at speeds you'd only dream of seeing. :wink: :D My truck had 255/85s when I got it, and had the fluke chance to get the Michelin 8.25s, and the top speed in OD dropped. I'm playing the hunch that with the smaller tires, the diesel will be back in it's "power band". zoom-zoom .....yeah, right :lol:

muttandjeeps

Post by muttandjeeps »

David, Thanks for the reminder on rotation. I had a 710 about 5 years ago, and due to finances, it had to go. Never put enough wear on it to worry much about the tires, this one should be here a good bit longer :D
Any recomendations on intervales?
Thanks[/img]
mopar
United States of America

Re:

Post by mopar »

How do you like the discoverers compared to your toyos?

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold