Installing new brake pads - Yeah me again....fuel system fix

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Jerbearyukon

Installing new brake pads - Yeah me again....fuel system fix

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I just recieved the new brake/shoes/pads.

Is this something a green weenie like me can do or should I take it to a brake shop?

just don't want to screw up the new pads is all.

Thanks Jer Bear
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If you have never done brake work please find a mentor. The system on the Pinzgauers are simple by modern standards however there are tricks and techniques (with any brake system)that will insure the job is successful and no one is hurt during or after the brake job. The springs you will be working with are strong and can present a hazard there are special tools that can make the springs easer to work with. Turning the drums is usually a good idea. This is also the time to critically inspect all other brake system components.
All that said if you study the manuals (and can understand some of the odd terms) and follow the instructions most should be able to successfully perform a brake service on a Pinzgauer.
If in question please find help. Anyone experienced with drum brakes on any brand vehicle should have no problem understanding and helping you with this job.

Ed
Last edited by edzz on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

I have the young fella that did my carbs to help me...he offered his services after hours so I can learn. He is a graduate of our AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE here and is a journeymen. He loves the old vehicles and CARBS.

He was a silver medalist in our SKILLS COMPETITION NATIONALLY so he is ONE OF THE BEST IN CANADA.

He knows that I want to learn too and we get along great. We have all the gear here at the college too so if we need anything we should be able to make it work here.

We have hoist and drum lathe you name it.

Jer Bear
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jer dont even hesitate the brakes in the pinz are simple just take the proper precautions using heavy duty jack stands and a sturdy jack the instructions in the manual are perfect and the job can be done in a few hours you can cut the drums if needed and is standard practice.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Yipper we are doing the brakes - I have access to a hoist too....all is well and we will have FUNNNNNNNNNN

Jer Bear
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jerry this is what owning a Pinz is all about...folks get intimidated because "ITS BRAKES" I hear guys hesitate to touch this area because they believe this is beyond the scope of their mechanical ability and they feel that a mistake here could cause death and distruction..which is TRUE...BUT...on this vehicle the braking system is simple especially if you are only replacing brake shoes, bleeding out the system and properly adjusting them. You seem like a guy that gets a big thrill from learning and then applying the suggestions to your problem, when you finally finish I can see the excitement in your posts..and then you are already thinking of the next job to tackle..good for you!!!!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Thanks...I am a trouble shooter by nature but it's mostly been electrical and hunting.

I am fairly good at both of those but mechanics has always been something I was afraid to tackle...in school when we had shop we worked on the old briggs and stratton motors and I was pitiful and so I think that initial experience had left some kinda stigma with me.

The new vehicles are pretty much PART REPLACEMENT now with a computer to tell you everything and there are so many sensors crap it's hard to tell what to do.

An engine light goes on and I am panicking and then you find out that the gas cap wasn't put on properly or you over filled it. I was in getting parts the other day for the pinz and a guy came in asking if anyone had a MAGNET....yes a MAGNET.....he needed it to reset the computer for the sensor that tells how much friggin AIR IS IN THE TIRES.

That's just crazy.....where is our world going...I love the Pinz for it's simplicity, but yes I was worried about the brakes but I think I have somebody that can walk me through it that does it everyday....

I will video it all too so I have a record of it too. I do that alot so I can alway refer to it in the future. Something may change but it's a reference.

That's why this site is SO AWESOME which reminds me I will have to make a DONATION TODAY to the site.

Thanks again....now just some leaks to fix.

Jer BEar
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

gotter done tonight and it was simple but I learned lots...we did turn the drum though. It was nice to be a part of it although I didn't do it all by myself.

thanks again for everyones help...next is to bleed the lockers and then it's the clutch 8)

Jer BEar