710 rear camber

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
bootlegger

710 rear camber

Post by bootlegger »

I am green at this pinzgauer stuff so forgive my lack of knowledge here.My question concerns the negative camber on the rear wheels.They are both the same.It seems a bit excessive and everyone asks me about it.I don't see it in other 710 pics.It has 2 springs on each side and the previous owner showed me how to remove one for off road.Can I adjust this or should I just leave it alone?Have you guys seen this before? Thanks
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Its normal with no load, you could just add a ton of stuff in the back. In these photos I have 2000 pounds of garden wall blocks. Remember it is a 1 ton truck after all.

Was a little slow coming up some of the hills on the way home. :lol: The next load I only had about 1500 pounds, the Pinz liked that better as the load was better distributed. :)

Ed

Edit: I’m in agreement with “Twin Pinzies” post below, I normally run fairly empty with the exception of two 5 gallon water cans inside next to the rear doors for aft ballast and emergency use.
Last edited by edzz on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

To answer your question... Yes, over-camber (especially in the rear) is natural in all unloaded 710's. You get asked questions about it because people are not used to seeing the tires do that. This does not make it wrong!

Here's another question. Why does it matter? Why do people even try to flatten out the rear by adding weight? Try flipping the tires on the rims occasionally or simply GO OFF ROADING! (The tires only wear unevenly when they are driven mostly unloaded on pavement).

Adding weight to make it look just like every other solid axle 4x4 is kinda pointless IMHO. Do NOT mess with your rear springs in an effort to "level" your truck either!
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

Alright,that settles that.I just could not see it in any other photos.Thanks
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

OK, then here's my question- if you have little or no negative camber under an unloaded condition does this mean your springs are weak or wearing out? Assume equal negative angle per axle.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

pinzinator wrote:OK, then here's my question- if you have little or no negative camber under an unloaded condition does this mean your springs are weak or wearing out? Assume equal negative angle per axle.
Or your spring cups are rusted through. :D
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

Are you sure you have 2 per side in place?
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

bootlegger wrote:Are you sure you have 2 per side in place?
I would imagine that removing/disconnecting one of the springs would squash the remaining spring and bottoming out the suspension would be common.
I'm not sure why the previous owner would tell you to mess with them since that is NOT designed to be used as a suspension "adjustment."
Messing with coil springs is sketchy and should be avoided at all costs.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

A lot of pinz owners remove one spring per side. I got to ride and drive Alans (pinztrek) down in Florida. Seemed to improve the offroad ability as it allowed more travel. Also seemed to be a litttle softer ride as well. I would just base it on the payload you plan.
Q

Post by Q »

a little humor / an interesting solution:

http://jalopnik.com/5604345/how-one-man ... -the-wheel

for our positive camber these tires would need to be reversed i think...