Handbrake line twist

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
krick3tt

Handbrake line twist

Post by krick3tt »

The handle for my handbrake does not return to vertical.

I was reading about brakes in the post about the pinz dying after going downhill. Not wanting to hijack that thread I ask the question here.

My brake handle was sticking and would not release fully and a bit of oil on the shaft in the cab fixed it. ...but, it does not return to vertical by itself. It has been this way for quite some time. The brake seems to hold well, it will stall the vehicle if I try to move while it is engaged.

Is there not enough twist in the cable. Is that the cause of the non-returning to vertical issue? If so is this a simple fix?

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Morris,

Easy to check. Go to the rear of the truck, where the cable engages the arm on top of the center tube, just rear of the back diff. Disconnect the cable, it's a simple clip & pin. When you reconnect it, twist the little bracket on the end of the cable to the right about 3 (IIRC) turns. This should be in the direction of the twist of the cable. It will prestress the cable, twisting the handle in a clockwise manner. This helps keep the handle upright, and locked.

(All this is from memory. Check the manual too.)

Paul
krick3tt

Handbrake line twist

Post by krick3tt »

I put the pinz in gear (I have a sloped garage floor) blocked the wheel to prevent roll and released the handbrake. The line had enough slack to easily remove the clip and pin. I let the line completely untwist and then twisted it to the right several turns and replaced everything.

No return to vertical position for the handle.

I did it all again and this time I twisted it to the left and viola, perfect return to vertical upon release of the handbrake.

I must have one of those pinzies made on Monday that are somewhat contrary.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I must have one of those pinzies made on Monday that are somewhat contrary.
Maybe you do!

But if you remember that there is a pully up front that reverses the direction of the cable (and think about it a bit) you can see that the twist of the cable has to be opposite the twist of the handle... :oops:

Yeah, I did that too :roll: (once - only once!)

Jim M.
krick3tt

handbrake line twist

Post by krick3tt »

OK, now I am worried. It all seemed so logical. I'll check it again tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks.
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

I just look at the "lay" of the cable. ie. which way the individual strands are twisted together. You simply twist the cable from the back/clevis end in the direction of the lay, thus tightening up the strands.

As always, lather the cable and anything it touches, goes round, slides through in plenty of grease/heavy oil.

A last thought.... is it possible that some cables are manufactured with the lay going the "wrong" way round. Hence all the advice about turning it left or right etc. ain't much help ??

Mike 712M
krick3tt

handbrake line twist

Post by krick3tt »

Everything is OK now. Did have to back the clevis off one turn as the light stayed on. Fixed now. Thanks to all that gave input.

Morris