How do i tell when brakes need adj vs bleeding vs rebuilt MC

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
audiocontr
United States of America

How do i tell when brakes need adj vs bleeding vs rebuilt MC

Post by audiocontr »

One of the benefits of having two pinzgauers is comparing performance. You can determine whats a normal trait of these vehicles vs an issue. Case in point: My 712 braking is horrific compared to my 710. There is tremendously more pedal travel plus less bite.

This leads me to my questions: Am i correct in my logic below?

If pedal travel is extensive, adjust brakes.

CHECK. (Adjusted front and back, backing off 4 clicks (5 on the inners). Is this too many?)

If adjusting brakes yields minor gains, bleed brakes.

CHECK. (Not the easiest job to accomplish with one person. I may want to recheck one of these days but im pretty sure I did all 6 wheels correctly using a vaccum brake kit from HF)

If neither yield significant gains, rebuild master cyl?

A double pump does not result in significant increase of braking. What does this mean? Rebuild is needed or go back and readjust?

And while i have your attention, would bleeding the clutch system raise the engagement point on the pedal? The 712 pedal is less firm than the 710.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Back off 3 clicks each adjuster, and vac bleeders are useless for this application.
Spend the measly $60 on a pressure bleeder. It saves time, money and is a one man operation :D

As for clutch pedal "feel", that is determined by the health of the pressure plate and disk .

As the disk wears, the fingers on the P.P. get higher resulting in higher pedal pressure :)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Thanks Jim, appreciate the response. Ill readjust brakes and try the pressure bleeder.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

re

Post by krick3tt »

When using a power bleeder, which cap on the reservoir do I use?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
krick3tt

Re: Converter

Post by krick3tt »

edit: I found a reservoir above the master cylinder (high up and out of my range of vision) but I notice a bit of dark substance on the bottom of the tank.
I had intended to bleed the brakes using the power bleeder and am curious if that stuff is actually contamination. The fluid in all of the containers is clear and not cloudy.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford