Sticky Hand Brake

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
SAM. C.

Sticky Hand Brake

Post by SAM. C. »

Gents

I have had a search back through the old forum as I am sure there was a topic about this once upon a time which included pictures but I cant find it.

My handbrake is sticking on and takes a little jolt to release it. The lever is going in on the dash but it is sticking (I think in the tail) it happens particularly if I am releasing the handbrake and reversing straight away without going froward first.

Has anyone had this happen and can anyone give me a heads up before I start to investigate?

Thanks

Sam
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Sam,

I guess I'd start by applying the brake, then release it, and see if the cable goes slack. Or put someone at the back of the truck, where the cable attaches to the arm which comes out of the top of the center tube, just rear of the rear diff. See if that arm is releasing properly.

Disconnect the cable (at the arm) to allow the arm to move freely. If it does not return to the rear position (it goes back until it hits the brake lite switch), then you may have something sticking internally in the brake assy. (But also check to make sure the arm itself is free to pivot. IIRC, the pivot is accessible from the outside.) If the arm still does not return, or the brake still does not release, you'll need to pull the center tube, where it's aft of the rear diff, to access the brake assy.

If the arm does return properly to the rear, then you've likely got something sticking in the cable/handle area.
krick3tt

sticking hand brake

Post by krick3tt »

Sam,

See my first post under handbrake line twist. Had the same problem. Put a couple of drops of oil on the metal shaft that goes into the dash plate, solved the problem straight away.
Had several issues but that was one of them to solve.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford