In snow, chains, how necessary on 712?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
totaljoint

In snow, chains, how necessary on 712?

Post by totaljoint »

First snow storm of the season, and I discovered my 712 came with only two chains. Having not driven the Pinz in snow before:

1.) Before I spend a bunch on buying 4 more, does anyone know what is the maximum tire size that will fit the original Pinzgauer chains? The two I have seem damn tight.

2.) Is there a reason not to use these: http://tirechaindealer.com/grip.php
-the "grip 4x4": German made, 5.5mm links, seem easier to install and less than 1/2 the price of Pinz chains?

3.) How often do you guys in snow country actually put on and use them?

Some on these forums (in Colorodo, they should know) have suggested that the Pinz isn't as adept in snow as we would like to believe.

The Northwest Overland Society's annual Christmas tree run- into faily deep Cascade snow- requires we carry them (I don't want to be the only Pinz in the bunch and have to have some Land Rover pull me out, I couldn't stand the shame!!!!!).
Thanks!
Ed
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I ran my 710 last year in 3 foot snow without chains and almost got stuck once. Key is the type of tire you have. Sometimes you need to rock back and forth or spin the tires to get the treads clean.

That being said, i now have 5 sets of chains to see what the 710 and 712 do in deep snow. Chains are fantastic! Id bet the single set you have on the inside wheels would make quite an impact.

Getting them on takes practice, thats all
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
spandit

Post by spandit »

The UK is forecasting snow for next week - I can't wait!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The "grip 4x4" that you ask about look very much like the chains I bought for my old Montero, they saw a good amount of highway (I-90 & highway 2) use without showing any ware, also proved very effective off-road near Crystal mountain. I bought them years ago at Les Schwab in Monroe. I sure do wish they fit the pinz (the ones I have are for 15” tires) as they are very easy to put on and remove, as well as providing good traction with a reasonable ride. The chains that came with my pinz required additional links of chain to fit my tires so.. I welded in a couple links to the end of each side of all my chains. The stock pinz chains are MUCH harder to put on than the aftermarket. Don’t know for sure however if I remember correctly Les Schwab used to offer a refund on unused chains. I have no experience with the pinz in the snow yet, maybe this winter. :D

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Some.....suggested that the Pinz isn't as adept in snow as we would like to believe.

You better beleive it, the Pinzgauer is basically a Pick-up Truck as far as the weight distribution is concerned, even more so with the cab forward design. Put some weight in the back and it'll be fine for the most part, but chains are a good idea for certain road conditions, asphalt and hills come to mind. Chains are good to have just in case, kinda like jumper cables, if you need them not much else will do the trick.

Miles
Last edited by milesdzyn on Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

"Put some weight in the back and it'll be fine for the most part.."

But isn't that why God made mother-in-laws?
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

totaljoint wrote:"Put some weight in the back and it'll be fine for the most part.."

as Gomer Pyle said...."ooohh you're goin to hell for THAAAAAT"
712 amb. under construction.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Yes. But who the he!! would want to fill up their truck with them?? I'll take getting stuck...
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I find that it only takes one to fill up the truck, but back to topic:
Today I discovered my answer:

In only about 5-6 inches of snow, I had no problem in the 712 climbing a rather steep road (steep enough to overheat my Toyota pickup transmission last month), but on the descent, continued to have the rear end traction brake loose resultling in the back end trying to pass me. The combination of packed snow on gravel and snow caked tires had a coefficient of friction similar to you-know-what through a goose.
Disconcerting given the drop off on one side. Put the wife, kid, dogs and even the winch in the rear... any weight I could find. And yes, stayed in 1st gear, low range and off the brake as much as possible.
While I don't doubt that I'd have better traction going up hill, and through deeper snow with chains, their real saftey purpose for these mountains is preventing lateral sliding on slippery descents.
That also answers my next question: which wheels do you put chains on? All!
(Pictures show the amount of snow, not taken on the slope!)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I assume those pictures were taken a good ways past Zeeksville on highway 2.

Ed :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I used to love driving in the snow with my 710 chained up. I made Defender 90's look silly int the deep stuff. This with no weight in the back.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Before I dig out my chains (which currently are the extra weight in the back of my 710), will they fit on a 265 75R 16 tire? I have the factory chains, and I know the tires are wider, but height is very similar.

Anybody tried this combo?
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

When you were having the problems going downhill, did you have the rear axle differentials locked?

It's been my understanding that during a steep descent, it would be better to have the rear axles unlocked. By doing this, you'll always have at least one tire per rear axle still able to turn, thus keeping the rear end from sliding.

This has worked well for me on dirt, but I can't speak for the effect in snow so much.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have installed my stock pinz chains on tires as large as 285-75R 16's.

In stead of tightening all the slotted chain locks, I did only one side of the four locking plates. This gave me enough tension to keep the chains on the tire while still covering the larger area. I just had to tighten them after rolling for 20 yards or so.

I have plenty of spare chains if anyone needs a set to increase the length or breadth of their chains to suit there needs.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Andre wrote:I have installed my stock pinz chains on tires as large as 285-75R 16's.

In stead of tightening all the slotted chain locks, I did only one side of the four locking plates. This gave me enough tension to keep the chains on the tire while still covering the larger area. I just had to tighten them after rolling for 20 yards or so.

I have plenty of spare chains if anyone needs a set to increase the length or breadth of their chains to suit there needs.
Great, I will try mine this week...
1972 710m