Rear Spring Upper Cup Failure

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Wayne Roberts

Rear Spring Upper Cup Failure

Post by Wayne Roberts »

My rear most spring has pushed through the upper cup and is now about 1.5 inches more extended than the other. It is still tightly held in and has not been making any noise. I have no idea how long it has been like that and it drives and rides well. Has anyone had this failure and can tell me what is involved in the repair? I am still looking for my disc with the manual to look it up but I put it somewhere safe and can not find it at the moment.

Thanks
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Rear springs are easy. Disconnect the shock and limiter strap and lower the axle, but don't force it past the point where it stops. The springs come out without a compressor. You may want to replace both upper cups, they just set into the spring.
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I just found the disc and was getting the part numbers. Thanks for the quick response! I will be doing both on this side now and will probably do the other side later to be safe. Happy Holidays!

Wayne
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Did you notice that the spring had jammed up against the frame? I did, and it made the truck sag slightly to that side. I have replaced about half a dozen spring cups over the years. It's an easy repair with a good spring compressor.
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Yes the spring had slid all the way up and it was leaning. Thats how I found the damage. The repair was not hard once the bolts broke loose. SAV had the parts in stock and the whole job took less than 2 hours including clean up. I took the truck out last night and it rode like new. I did do both of the drivers side as the other was worn bad but not quite ready to fail. The pins that come down from the body cleaned up well and did not have much rust on them. What is the repair if these pins were bad? I did not see that they were removable.

Wayne
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

which cup failed? the inner or the outer?
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Both of them failed on the rear most. On the front, the outer was starting to get soft when poked with a screwdriver. The inner was still solid.