what are the best tires

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: what are the best tires

Post by audiocontr »

I have them on my 712. They are a fine tire, did me well in the snow, sand, rocks and mud but i also had an extra axle. They are a much better road tire than off road. I'd look at the treadwrights for half the price
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I had those (that pattern and make) on my 2000 Toyota Tundra. They were good for medium off-roading
in SoCal desert. As I recall they were quiet and at 80 mph they were good on-road as well.
Don't know if I would put them on my pinz though. I have seen pinzgauers with them so they must
appeal to some.
I think with the shipping and mounting and balancing at a reasonable tire shop the price is a bit high.
Check with local tire shops, sometimes there are deals ...buy three get the fourth free.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

what about these ? in a 285 /75/ 16 ? or is there a better size ? thanks Guys !
https://www.treadwright.com/p-55-285-75 ... m-t-d.aspx
710M 1972
710k 1974
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I had these on my 710: https://www.treadwright.com/p-47-265-75 ... m-t-e.aspx. Did incredible in the snow, just fine on the road wet or dry

Do not get the walnut shell additive
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Just came from Barnes & Noble and the new issue of 4X4 Garage is out ...the whole issue is about tires.
They rate them from the least desirable to most. This should answer questions...check it out.

I usually check out the off road mags to see if there is anything in there that is not about jeeps, it is so sad.

edit: This is purely for information. As the following post notes, there may be a reason for the rating and as such one should do their own research. TaDa!
I'm getting the Treadrite (sp) tires, they fit my budget.
Last edited by krick3tt on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

krick3tt wrote:Just came from Barnes & Noble and the new issue of 4X4 Garage is out ...the whole issue is about tires.
They rate them from the least desirable to most. This should answer questions...check it out.

I usually check out the off road mags to see if there is anything in there that is not about jeeps, it is so sad.
I'm always nervous of ratings in the mags... its pretty simple for a manufacturer to purchase a good rating simply by committing to advertising. Company I worked for (no names!) used to "buy" awards when it thought it was appropriate PR... so probably useful info, but be cautious of any answers/recommendations.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

krick3tt wrote:Just came from Barnes & Noble and the new issue of 4X4 Garage is out ...the whole issue is about tires.

edit: This is purely for information. As the following post notes, there may be a reason for the rating and as such one should do their own research. TaDa!
I'm getting the Treadrite (sp) tires, they fit my budget.

Were the treadwrights in the article?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Yes, at the end of the mag. They only reviewed one type.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

I just mounted 5 treadwrites retreads today the rubber seemed soft but i like them so far especially the price :D
https://treadwright.com/p-74-285-75r16- ... m-t-e.aspx
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

ImageImage
710M 1972
710k 1974
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

I might be being dim, but why does it say BFG on the sidewalls? Is Treadwright a sub-brand or something?
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

psychoman wrote:I might be being dim, but why does it say BFG on the sidewalls? Is Treadwright a sub-brand or something?
From their web site
"Each of our tires is retreaded with full grade truck rubber for the highest possible tread life."
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

psychoman wrote:I might be being dim, but why does it say BFG on the sidewalls? Is Treadwright a sub-brand or something?
the BFg is the casing that they add the new rubber to. they can use any brand as long as its in good shape
710M 1972
710k 1974
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Weird - I was under the impression that re-tread tyres had to have the original markings "shaved" or covered to avoid confusion - i.e. you think you're buying a new BFG when you're really buying a remould.

Or maybe that's just a European thing... :?
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Maybe that is a "European" thing (pause to aim one at the spitoon!). The remoulds I have seen in the UK appear to be a complete tyre covering ie. the sidewalls are "new" with REMOULD marked on along with tyre size etc.

Have used remoulds in the past on other cars with no problems whatsoever. Mixture of sustained motorway speeds (70mph) with a decent load and driving on unsurfaced farm roads. I've got BFG's on the Pinz at present which are half worn. I'll be looking at the remould market in a while.