Tire Question

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
matthewc66

Tire Question

Post by matthewc66 »

I am replacing my Truxus tires and want a tire that is better on road because that is where I am most of the time.

When I am off road I am in the California desert where I am in 4 inches of sand.

Not sure which tire to buy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Tire Question

Post by 4x4Pinz »

BFG AT's would work well. Long highway life and decent in the sand. Several folks around here use them and seem to be happy with them.
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

I should know this but do you know the size and if there is any other information I need to know..

Thanks...
landy

Post by landy »

I think 265 75 16 is closest to the original size. Very common truck tire size so there are lots of choices.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

4x4Pinz wrote:BFG AT's would work well. Long highway life and decent in the sand. Several folks around here use them and seem to be happy with them.
I have to disagree with the "long life" statement of BFG AT's. In my experience, they wear out like pencil erasures. Whenever I see them on another truck, they are either brand new or totally worn out!
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Can't speak for the current BFG ATs, but we've ran BFG MTs on several trucks and usually see 30,000+ out of them in mixed use. I'm trying Kumho KL71s on the wife's lifted Cherry at the moment to see how they fair in comparison - done about 6,000 so far, shaping up well, but too early to make any sensible comment yet.
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

one of the reasons I don't like the BFG line of tires is the rubber gets hard too quickly. The tires seem to last for ever but I like a really soft tire to grip the rocks. Might be a temperature thing.
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

I am out west so I only really see sand.

I probably only d0 2K a year in driving as I have a bunch of other collector cars and motorcycles.

For limited use I am guessing I should be okay,,
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Running BFG MT for about 36000 miles. Backs are still good with about 45% but the front right is more
worn than front left. I think I need to rotate more often. Mixed use with much more road than trail, about 75%
ratio I'd guess.
Time for new ones but the tread pattern is no longer made. Really like this pattern but it was explained that
research has made the road noise less. Really doesn't matter to me, can't hear it over the engine, except when
the doors are off.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

I posted a question a while back on gear whine but didn't really get an answer.

Since you guys are so helpful thought I would throw it out again.

My mechanic who has no Pinz experience says he is worried about the gear whine especially when I am in 5th gear.

I told him it always sounded like this. Jim Laguardia had it a couple of times and didn't say anything so I assumed it was okay.'

Is this something to worry about?

Most guys have said they all whine like that but I don't really have much experience other than my truck.

Matt
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Matt if you want to come up to Palos Verdes I'll take you out for a ride in my 710k let you decide for yourself. I suspect Jim would have said something if he felt something was wrong.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

Thanks Edzz, I might just do that.

My mechanic is in a panic but everyone says it is normal.

I would like to ride in another Pinz just to check it out..
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The hub gears run slower, but are a "straight cut" gear that is NOT quiet. The tranny, transfer case, and diffs use "bevel cut" gears but because of the suspension the diff gears have much more likelyhood of play that can make them noiser than modern vehicles. If you mechanic does not know or understand this then it may explain why his is so worried about the noise. Pinz drivetrains are pretty bulletproof, even if they complain a lot.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Paul Gudmundson

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

i've been on bfg's 265 75 16 a/t for 10 years now with 45,000km and its time to get rid of them lol. they have been a good all around tire but i can't do some of the trails i used to could be 40% tread or old rubber. been looking for something more extreme off road maybe super swampers. as for the gear whine its been there for 45,000 km too but you can quite it down abit with sound deading the cab with carpit and balancing the shafts depending if you get a nasty vibration at 95km. its just someting we live with and get used to just keep checking your fluids are all topped up.
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

I had Justin come by today with his 710 and we took it to my mechanic.

Same gear whine so he isn't panicked anymore.

Justin has Rhino lined his bed and mine is stock metal so his was a little quieter but not too much different.

I am finishing up the rust at the top of the doors and powder coating the rims black and then she should be cherry..

Thanks for the info.

Matt