Hub Seal Failure and Leak at the Ball

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
PhilH

Hub Seal Failure and Leak at the Ball

Post by PhilH »

Thanks for a great forum and source of information and inspiration for Pinzgauers. I live in TN and just bought a 710M from California. Oddly enough, I do not four-wheel with it; it is a daily driver. I drive it back and forth to work as well as take my kids to school in it. I have put roughly 1600 miles in town since the middle of June. Runs great and drives great. Have to work out a few issues, but don't we all! Please lend me your opinion on this picture; I'm assuming it is a hub seal failure but there is also leaking at "the ball"...what does that mean? Both wheels are like this. Also, since I am leaking fluid, where do I "put it back in" to make sure I do not get low on fluid. I am in the process of getting manuals, etc. so my German mechanic can fix this so please excuse some of the questions. I have used the "search" function over and over. Also, please educate me: is it pronounced "pinz-ger" with a southern drawl or is it more like "pinz-gaw-er" with three syllables? Glad to be on board!
Attachments
083011223721.jpg
083011223721.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
'74 710m
M101A2 Trailer
'69 Firebird Convertible
Gear
United States of America

Re: Hub Seal Failure and Leak at the Ball

Post by Gear »

Welcome Phil,
I would start by cleaning the area really good with brake cleaner. The geared hub has two allen bolts. The one shown in the picture(far right) is the fill hole. Below it and dead center is the drain hole. Open the fill hole and make sure the fluid is right at this level. Some fluid should come draining out or if it is right below the level I use the small end of a small Allen wrench to gauge the depth. Simple stick the small end into the hole and check the level. If it is low add Gear Oil 80w-90 into this opening until it pours out. If it has excessive fluid in there check your differential(it could be loosing the fluid to the geared hub). The differentials have a fill hole top, middle hole(check) and a bottom hole for draining.
My point in all of this is to clean it up, check your fluid levels and then drive it and watch what happens. It might just be years of seepage.

I am in the same boat as you daily driving it, Cool school bus, and Awesome kid fort.

Enjoy !!!
Justin Pitcairn

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/
Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Instagram @pitcairnoverland
waterdog
Paraguay

Re: Hub Seal Failure and Leak at the Ball

Post by waterdog »

i had the same leaking on mine, and i did re-torque all the allen bolts around the ball , looks like is not leaking now..... :D :roll:
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150